Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #271
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you're trying to sort by author LN FN shouldn't your template contain
{author_sort} rather than {authors} ?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #272
PepSnick
Enthusiast
PepSnick doesn't litterPepSnick doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
If I did author_sort, wouldn't that mean it would show up like

Black, Holly instead of Holly Black?

All of the rest of it (630ish books) is in Alpha order by last name and read as FN LN, wouldn't it mean there's some sort of error either with how calibre is communicating with the nook, or with those particular books that are out of order?

Last edited by PepSnick; 04-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
PepSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #273
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a Sony user rather than Nook so I'm not sure of its sorting capabilities. My Sonys will only sort by LN FN if the author display is LN FN. If you're getting a mixture of both on the Nook then perhaps you should choose 2 Nook books - a correct one and an incorrect one - then look at the Edit Metadata window for each in Calibre particularly the author_sort box and see if there is a problem there.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #274
PepSnick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm a Sony user rather than Nook so I'm not sure of its sorting capabilities. My Sonys will only sort by LN FN if the author display is LN FN. If you're getting a mixture of both on the Nook then perhaps you should choose 2 Nook books - a correct one and an incorrect one - then look at the Edit Metadata window for each in Calibre particularly the author_sort box and see if there is a problem there.
Yup, I already checked all that. I'm really particular whenever I'm adding new books to my NC and making sure that the metadata is correct. On the nook, it has always sorted by LN, FN but is presented by FN, LN. I didn't have a problem with these books until I did the plugboard, which makes me think there is just some sort of glitch. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which I don't think I am, but if I am then it's not an obvious one to me (I'm definitely not any kind of pro at Calibre).
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #275
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepSnick View Post
I didn't have a problem with these books until I did the plugboard, which makes me think there is just some sort of glitch.
I'm going to guess that the only glitch is in your Nook or calibre library. Have you checked the 27 books to ensure their author_sort data is correct in the library?

I do something very similar on my PRS-950 and PRS-505, but I use author_sort instead of author. In addition to the line you have for Destination field: authors in your plugboard, I add the following extra line in the plugboard:

Source Template: {author_sort}{series:|[|}{series_index:0>2s|(|)]}
Destination Field: title_sort

This should allow you to sort by title and get what you want without changing the title.

Quote:
Unless I'm doing something wrong, which I don't think I am, but if I am then it's not an obvious one to me (I'm definitely not any kind of pro at Calibre).
I don't have a Nook, but I suspect the error is somewhere in your data or ereader.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #276
PepSnick
Enthusiast

I don't know .. these titles always worked before. But I keep getting told that it's not a bug, so there's gotta be something more going on. I just don't know how to check into it further besides the standard metadata, which I am positive is correct.

That template, would that make it where the authors are still sorted in correct order? The only reason I don't want to do Author sort is because I think that will make it show up LN, FN.

I might just have to lose the plugboard period .. but I can try asking people on the nook board in this forum, as well as the actual nook forum and see if anybody has experienced this issue.

I got told it's not the plugboard because the format was changed correctly, but that it must be something with my device .. but before i did the plugboard, my device was working correctly. Maybe my device just doesn't *like* the plugboard lol, like it's not meant to sort that way so it's refusing to. It just sucks that MOST books do sort how I want them to and how i expected them to, and just a very small chunk didn't.

Sorry, mini rant lol. kinda frustrating.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #277
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Some more 'possibilities'...
  • If you normally feed the books to the Nook with author as FN LN, and the Nook displays them as FN LN but in LN sequence, is it possible that the Nook is doing some sort of text manipulation to 'guess' what is the LN and what is the FN? If so, then mapping your author field to contain author FN LN [series (index)] may give the Nook a hard time figuring out LN and FN to create a sortkey for the book. It won't be expecting a text string that looks like the plugboard data. Is there a Nook book database you can examine to see what it has calculated?
  • Perhaps the Nook has a similar problem to the Sony PRST1. I use a similar plugboard to map author on a T1, however, although the T1 puts the full text into its database in the author field and displays correctly, when it sorts it does not use the whole field as the sortkey, hence some books end up in the wrong sequence if you send a series piecemeal. With a T1 you can get round this by viewing books by Sony Collection, which are always resequenced correctly by Calibre every time you connect.
  • Have you looked in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - relevant Nook - Customize to check that the settings are correct? Whatever they are try you could try changing them to see if it makes a difference.
  • Have you tried using the Plugboard to map the Title field instead, i.e. prefix the Title field with the series info.
Sorry I can't help more. You really need another Nook owner to chip in.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #278
PepSnick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm going to guess that the only glitch is in your Nook or calibre library. Have you checked the 27 books to ensure their author_sort data is correct in the library?

I do something very similar on my PRS-950 and PRS-505, but I use author_sort instead of author. In addition to the line you have for Destination field: authors in your plugboard, I add the following extra line in the plugboard:

Source Template: {author_sort}{series:|[|}{series_index:0>2s|(|)]}
Destination Field: title_sort

This should allow you to sort by title and get what you want without changing the title.

I don't have a Nook, but I suspect the error is somewhere in your data or ereader.

Good Luck.
I've been thinking about this source code you gave me, and it just might work .. i am going to try this out in a few and get back to you on that. *crosses fingers*.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #279
PepSnick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Some more 'possibilities'...
  • If you normally feed the books to the Nook with author as FN LN, and the Nook displays them as FN LN but in LN sequence, is it possible that the Nook is doing some sort of text manipulation to 'guess' what is the LN and what is the FN? If so, then mapping your author field to contain author FN LN [series (index)] may give the Nook a hard time figuring out LN and FN to create a sortkey for the book. It won't be expecting a text string that looks like the plugboard data. Is there a Nook book database you can examine to see what it has calculated?
  • Perhaps the Nook has a similar problem to the Sony PRST1. I use a similar plugboard to map author on a T1, however, although the T1 puts the full text into its database in the author field and displays correctly, when it sorts it does not use the whole field as the sortkey, hence some books end up in the wrong sequence if you send a series piecemeal. With a T1 you can get round this by viewing books by Sony Collection, which are always resequenced correctly by Calibre every time you connect.
  • Have you looked in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - relevant Nook - Customize to check that the settings are correct? Whatever they are try you could try changing them to see if it makes a difference.
  • Have you tried using the Plugboard to map the Title field instead, i.e. prefix the Title field with the series info.
Sorry I can't help more. You really need another Nook owner to chip in.
"Is there a Nook book database you can examine to see what it has calculated?" < I have no idea, lol. But it is definitely possible that my nook is confused. The only reason why I wouldn't think it would be that is because with many of these books, it is just ONE book out of a series, and the rest of the series is put in order down below, and I see no difference between the metadata screen from the book out of order, and the book in order. The author and everything is written exactly the same, as is the series name and everything. That's why i am so confused.

As for your second possibility, I'm afraid i don't understand because I'm not sure what the T1 is. If you could explain that, then i'll look into what you are saying and see if that is it (sorry for being a pest!).

As for the prefs, no I haven't looked - I will do that first! As soon as i write this message i'll sign onto my laptop and see what is going on there.

I have tried it in the title section, I just didn't like how it looked aesthetically, lol. If I can't figure this out, that's what i'll be going with. It just doesn't look as nice to me, it makes it look cluttered and sometimes the title is too long so I have to do a lot of editing to make it work right.

PS, thank you so much for all of your help. I really, really appreciate it.

I sent in a bug report to make sure it wasn't that, and I wrote this:

----

To expand on this further and give an example, this is what it looks like when it's correct (fake titles and authors):

Cat
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (01)]

Dog
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (03)]

Fish
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (02)]

Gerbil
Ben Doom [Candid (01)]

But the ones that are incorrect do it like this:

Gerbil
Ben Doom [Candid (01)]

Cat
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (01)]

Fish
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (02)]

Dog
Jan Ball [Beautiful Art (03)]

Notice that one the ones that are correct, it sorts by last name in terms of authors, and then alphabetically by title, and the series and number is jumbled (which is the right way to do it and what I wanted). However, in the incorrect section, it sorts by first name, but also by the number of the series.

---

I thought I would paste that here, too, in case somebody else wants to chime in. I think it explains it a little better than I have been explaining it.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #280
PepSnick
Enthusiast

Okay, in the Prefs > Plugins > Nook thing, this is all I see:

Available formats and their order, 3 are checked -- Epub, pdb, pdf.

read metadata from files on device is checked.

use sub directories is checked.

Under saved template it's

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #281
PepSnick
Enthusiast

Okay so .. tried the source code in title_sort, had no change.

Tried author_sort in place of authors in the author field, and all it did was change it to LN, FN but kept it in the same place and up top .. so, it's something else.

Is there a way to look more into the metadata, see if maybe the sorting is odd in it or something? I have no idea ....

---

Okay, I opened the opf files in wordpad, I used the same author and series, a book that is in order and a book that isn't, and i see no differences there.

I'm THIS ready to just give up ...

Last edited by PepSnick; 04-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #282
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As for your second possibility, I'm afraid i don't understand because I'm not sure what the T1 is. If you could explain that, then i'll look into what you are saying and see if that is it (sorry for being a pest!).
By T1 I meant my Sony PRST1. I was not expecting you to be able to DO anything with the info other than point out that various models have quirks which just ARE. We have to live with them, find a workaround or buy a different model.

Quote:
Okay, I opened the opf files in wordpad, I used the same author and series, a book that is in order and a book that isn't, and i see no differences there.
When you opened the opf files did you use the epub in the Calibre library or the one on the Nook? To draw any conclusions it would need to be the latter because Calibre updates the metadata in the opf file as you send-to-device/save-to-disk/connect-to-folder. I don't think the plugboard mappings are added to the Calibre library copy of the epub only to the epub on the device.

Something else you could try to see if you can home in on the problem...
  • Whilst the Nook is NOT connected to Calibre, select a single series by a single author which currently contains some correct and some incorrect Nook entries. Preferably a series with a lot of entries (3 is not really enough). Delete all books from this series from the Nook. Make a note of which entries were correct and which were incorrect.
  • Connect the Nook to Calibre and select all books in the chosen series. Make sure they are in correct series order on the screen. Recopy the whole series, in one go, to the Nook, then disconnect. Relook at the Nook. Are the books which were correct/incorrect still the same?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #283
PepSnick
Enthusiast

I will give it a shot and let you know!

I also had a thought of maybe just deleting all books from my device and reuploading them all back on, and see if it changes which ones error and which ones don't. I figure I have nothing to lose except time.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #284
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will give it a shot and let you know!

I also had a thought of maybe just deleting all books from my device and reuploading them all back on, and see if it changes which ones error and which ones don't. I figure I have nothing to lose except time.
I could be wrong, but I think on a Nook only the books you have sent since you added the Plugboard will have the plugboard mappings set. It's different on a Sony device, because you can tell Calibre to directly update the metadata inside the Sony book database, for all books on the device, each time you connect - therefore there is no need to resend old books which were there before the plugboard was set up. I don't believe the Nook has this option.

You said previously that the Nook device interface plugin 'had read metadata from files on device is checked'. If so then your pre-plugin books will be using pre-plugin metadata, I would think.

Quote:
Well, it's always an option. Testing it out first on a single series (as per my prev post) would indicate how successful that is likely to be.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #285
PepSnick
Enthusiast

I tried both, the same books still have the error.

It's true that unless I sent all books to my nook again, they wouldnt have the plugboard, but I had already done that when I first started using the plugboard. It was when I finished my entire library that these books went out of order .. they weren't out of order before, and they weren't out of order when the plugboard was first applied .. just when I finished uploading the whole library. It doesn't make an ounce of sense to me, so I probably just can't do it how I want to .. getting a bit discouraged. Will most likely have to do it through the title, or not at all if I can't take how it looks, lol.

Last edited by PepSnick; 04-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Tags
custom column, tag, tags