Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Your top non-fiction of the past year

A couple of years is fine, and I'd say 5 - 10 entries. I didn't want to clog up (hijack!) the other non-fiction thread.

Some of mine:

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea -- stories of six escapees' experiences as told to the author in interviews, great narrative format.

Bayshore Summer: Finding Eden in a Most Unlikely Place -- I'm not particularly interested in science and nature and was hooked!

Love in a Time of Homeschooling: A Mother and Daughter's Uncommon Year -- honest portrayal of one woman's experience.

Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England -- excellent reference, focusing on the burden of women.

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food -- well-written combination of both the food, and Chinese immigrant experience.

Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible -- interesting, often funny, look at the entire Old Testament.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. A really interesting story about a woman whose cells became the first 'immortal' cells in medical research.

Living Oprah by Robyn Okrant. A woman resolves to live for one year doing absolutely everything Oprah says. A bit silly in parts, but she makes some really good observations.

Columbine by Dave Cullen. A really interesting look into the people and events surrounding the Columbine shooting.

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merriman. A fascinating book that scientifically examines how children learn. The chapter on learning race was a standout.

No Impact Man by Colin Beavan. Another book based on a blog, this one about a man who tries to love for an entire year making no impact on the environment. The parts where he gets all philosophical can be a bit tiresome, but the parts where he describes his learning process and lets us just watch him are very interesting.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read Living Oprah - not sure I thought it was recommend-able, but the author's point about Oprah's contradictory messages seemed like a good one.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've read a number of Distributist books since the first of the year - works by GK Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc and AJ Penty.

No one stands out. I don't think they completely got their act together, but I found it all to be very interesting.

Thanks to Patricia, these were available from the MR Library.

And I should add the treatise that started it all, Rerum Novarum by Pope Leo XIII, which Patricia also placed in the library.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
These are the non-fiction I've enjoyed most in 2010:

Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed.

The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle by Steven Pressfield.

You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto by Jaron Lanier.

A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present by Howard Zinn.

A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage.

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and his Revolutionary Comic Strip by Nevin Martell.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage.
Thanks for the reminder -- my library has it as an Epub!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Thanks for the reminder -- my library has it as an Epub!
Libraries with epubs? Hmm...I'll have to check if my local library has those.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent

The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlet

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman by Sam Wasson

Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French

Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England by Steve Jones
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Well - I just read Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me this year. I guess I'm a little behind the times! (But this was a good book!)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I highly recommend:

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson
I loved this one too! And I'm going to say the very closely related:

Half the Sky by Nick Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. Amazing, eye-opening book about the trials women face in developing countries.

Also,

The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman. This book showed me the world I'm living in. Completely amazing.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

My favorite non-fiction book - and one I just bought a fresh copy of because I lost contact with the person who borrowed my other copy - is Roland Huntsford's The Last Place on Earth.

This details the race to the South Pole between Amundsen and Scott.

An extraordinary work, thoroughly entertaining, and a real eye-opener for someone like me who thought of Scott as a hero, due to my initial upbringing in England.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea -- stories of six escapees' experiences as told to the author in interviews, great narrative format.
I read this a few weeks ago. It was just heartbreaking.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I highly recommend:

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
My library just obtained that one as an Epub as well!