Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
drnvs
drnvs is on a distinguished road

Device: ebookwise, Kindle 2, Liberati
Palm m500 as a ebook reader

I have been using a PDA Palm m500 as an ebook device fairly successfully. However I am unable to use an SD card on this device. Although I am able to transfer a book to the card, the device does not show the contents of the card, while a card reader does. I am presently using a Sandisk 2 GB card . Should I use a card of lower capacity? I believe I have downloaded the right application software as I am able to sync the books to the device all right. i would appreciate any help. Thanks
drnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Never had a 500, but I did have a 505 and the biggest SD card it supported was 256MB.

There might have been an update for larger cards, I don't remember.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnvs View Post
I have been using a PDA Palm m500 as an ebook device fairly successfully. However I am unable to use an SD card on this device. Although I am able to transfer a book to the card, the device does not show the contents of the card, while a card reader does. I am presently using a Sandisk 2 GB card . Should I use a card of lower capacity? I believe I have downloaded the right application software as I am able to sync the books to the device all right. i would appreciate any help. Thanks
I don't know about your Palm, but I do have a couple other devices that can't read a 2GB card. Their drivers weren't written to support it.

You might have the same problem. Or the card slot might be dead.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
After a quick Google apparently there was an update at some point and the 500 series devices tested as working with up to a 1GB card...

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com.../34080_en.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
drnvs, I use a Palm m500. I use Mobipocket on it and a 1GB SD card and it works fine. So, yes, try using a lower capacity card.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Mnc77024
Mnc77024 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi -- I use an old Zire with ereader software. I also have a tx and use mobipocket on it. It seems that ereader expects the book to be on the device but that mobipocket is able to read a book from the card. I have had success by copying an ereader book to my external card (through the ereader program, and on the tx -- the zire doesn't have a card slot). The software is able to find the book that way. I wasn't able to get ereader to search the card on its own.

Last edited by Mnc77024; 05-15-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Mnc77024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Is it an SDHC card? Those (and drivers for them) didn't exist when the m500 came out.There are non-SDHC 2GB cards out there, but they're rather thin on the ground, so it's fairly likely you have SDHC.

I think Dmitri Grinberg wrote a SDHC driver for PalmOS (memory is fuzzy, though), so you may be able to find it if you hunt around. It'll go in RAM and get lost if you do a hard reset, so don't use the card as a primary system backup. Alternatively, it may be possible to buy a 2GB non-SDHC still - try Newegg. That's where I bought the ones (PQI AE58-2030R and a Transcend) that I run in my Zod. But be careful, sometimes it's hard to ascertain from the product listings which kind they are.

PS. Try here for the driver: http://www.palmpowerups.com/index.php. Looks like you'll also need a FAT32 driver.
PPS. Oh drat, m500 isn't in the supported device list. Looks like a regular SD (not SDHC) card is your only option.

Last edited by wayrad; 05-16-2010 at 09:22 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Is it an SDHC card? Those (and drivers for them) didn't exist when the m500 came out.There are non-SDHC 2GB cards out there, but they're rather thin on the ground, so it's fairly likely you have SDHC.
... Looks like a regular SD (not SDHC) card is your only option.

Sadly my m500 passed away 2 years ago (digitizer failure) so I can't check this but I think wayrad is right on point there.

I do know that 2 GB SD (not SDHC) is the maximum Size my sturdy Zire72s swallows, though. Same with the Zodiac 2 here.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote