Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #31
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I believe Adobe DRM users last year went through that issue. Adobe upgraded their DRM software and I guess they gave notice that once beyond a certain time frame they no longer supported the old method and it was not compatible with the new one. If you did not manage to convert over you were out of luck.

see url

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/533039?tstart=0

Another reason to remove DRM period!
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #32
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm not bothered by DRM on e-books; it works seamlessly for me, the reader. Almost everything I buy I am likely to read only once. If I lost my whole collection, and wanted to reread a handful off titles, well, so be it: the cost would be nominal in the grand scheme of things. And, for those feeling the need, stripping DRM in most formats is pretty simple if you want to make a DRM-free personal backup.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #33
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I resisted the idea of stripping DRM for a long time, until the Fictionwise debacle this April. Most of my DRM'd books are in the ereader format, and I believed it would be supported for a long time, so I did not worry. But after watching the Adobe PDF mess, and figuring pdb format and lit format are at the end of their useful lives, I decided to go to the effort of future proofing my books. I do re-read books I enjoy. I have read some many times, so this is an important issue to me. The whole mess has made me appreciate sites like Baen, Smashwords, A Writer's Work, and others. Many small press and independant authors are starting to get more and more of my money in appreciation for their courage to go DRM free. I want to support that attitude as much as possible.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #34
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I tried to strip the DRM from an e-pub book recently, but I failed.

So I'll continue to buy DRM'd books.... Until I decide to give it another try.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #35
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's one thing I check whenever I make a purchase. If there is DRM, I'll pass. If it's a book I really need to read, I'll order the paper copy rather than risk losing access to the material if/when there is a technology shift.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I believe it already did. Fictionwise had an episode of this a while ago where a lot of books would no longer be available for download because their contract with Overdrive was terminated.

http://www.teleread.com/2009/01/08/o...-distribution/

BTW... there are proponents of DRM? Other than the copyright cartel?
So did Embiid. I had a bunch of stuff I'd purchased from there. Including their entire Liad/Korval catalog. Had to repurchase everything when they went down. They did everything right. Notified everybody, instructed how to backup everything, they even kept the servers up for months after they shutdown. Nothing is more obsolete than a DRM system that doesn't support current software or any reader at all. I can still read them on my Pilot, but I've moved on. As lessons go, it wasn't that expensive. Thank Baen.

I'll stumble on and fill in the missing pieces someday.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMPoole View Post
So did Embiid. I had a bunch of stuff I'd purchased from there. Including their entire Liad/Korval catalog. Had to repurchase everything when they went down. They did everything right. Notified everybody, instructed how to backup everything, they even kept the servers up for months after they shutdown. Nothing is more obsolete than a DRM system that doesn't support current software or any reader at all. I can still read them on my Pilot, but I've moved on. As lessons go, it wasn't that expensive. Thank Baen.

I downloaded them, removed the DRM and moved on. No books lost, simply the ability to re-download them.

But a good reason to kill DRM: DRM is making us all into felons, simply because we like to listen to music or read books, on devices we decide.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMPoole View Post

I really don't understand why you had to repurchase them. What format were these books in? Why did you not simply convert them to a format that you could read on whatever reading device you now have?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #39
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
While it's a pain that support will disappear from pre-2008 purchases it's worth pointing out that Napster themselves moved away from DRM last year, and all purchases have been DRM-free mp3s since then.

I felt they were getting a little undeserved flak earlier in this thread!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm not bothered by DRM on e-books; it works seamlessly for me, the reader. Almost everything I buy I am likely to read only once. If I lost my whole collection, and wanted to reread a handful off titles, well, so be it: the cost would be nominal in the grand scheme of things. And, for those feeling the need, stripping DRM in most formats is pretty simple if you want to make a DRM-free personal backup.
You assume that you will be able to buy a book later. This has not been true for paper books (the net based second hand market made it nearly true). I often by a book and read it years later. With DRM I cannot be sure to be able to read it years later.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #41
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
These kind of events are exactly why I refuse to buy digital products with DRM.

The only DRM-ridden books I've bought since getting the Nook a couple of months back were for school. Any books I get I remove the DRM when I get some time. Otherwise, you don't really own it.

I buy a hardcover or paperback instead. I will not buy a book with DRM for anything more than a dollar or two - the price of a rental - because that is what you are really doing - renting the book.

Video game DRM is getting even worse - not better. Vote with your wallet, people! Buying DRM products just encourages them to keep doing it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-25-2010 at 01:49 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #42
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
These kind of events are exactly why I refuse to buy digital products with DRM.

The only DRM-ridden books I've bought since getting the Nook a couple of months back were for school. Any books I get I remove the DRM when I get some time. Otherwise, you don't really own it.

I buy a hardcover or paperback instead. I will not buy a book with DRM for anything more than a dollar or two - the price of a rental - because that is what you are really doing - renting the book.

Video game DRM is getting even worse - not better. Vote with your wallet, people! Buying DRM products just encourages them to keep doing it.
I will not buy DRM books, period. I'll buy a p-book, cut it apart and scan it instead.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Brazil and DRM

Brazil recently made an interesting move on the DRM front by attempting to balance rights: it is equally illegal to lock media with DRM in a way that prevents users from doing legal things as it is for users to break DRM in order to do illegal things.

http://boingboing.net/2010/07/10/bra...yright-la.html

Also worthy of note is that a UN trade treaty is requiring member nations to pass laws against breaking DRM, so finding places where stripping DRM is legal is quickly becoming difficult to impossible.
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote