Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Shopping for e-readers/tablets in Hong Kong

Calling all travellers out there for a bit of advice.

I am going to Hong Kong on business for a few days. Obviously I won't have too much time to shop around.
I need to buy a tablet or two (take care of some presents I need to buy) and I was hoping to find a shop that sells e-Ink readers.
I am more looking for a choice of models I can test before buying than the cheapest price possible.

Any hints/advice is appreciated!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Heya...I am in HK, a recently relocated NYCer with many decades of travel to HK.

Don't hold your breath for eink ebook readers in HK. The selection is pitiful from all I have [not] seen here.

With the exception of Chinese branded Hanvon devices [and a single white Kindle sighting], I have seen no ebook readers anywhere in HK. Not in any of the major electronics shops [Fortress, Broadway], nor even in the tech paradise centers in Wanchai or Sham Sui Po. Sony readers are nowhere to be found even in the largest authorized Sony dealers/retailers I have visited.

Reason: I am told most people who read in HK simply use their iPhones/iPads/Galaxy Tabs/whatever to read instead.

This dearth of eink ebook devices is exactly why I purchased a Kindle3 Wifi from Amazon in the States and had my family bring it over to HK last week.

Tablets? Hell yes, more than you can imagine. Cell phones, smartphones...absolutely. E-ink readers from multiple manufacturers? Nope.

sorry, but hopes this helps to shape your expectations a bit...
cheers,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Reason: I am told most people who read in HK simply use their iPhones/iPads/Galaxy Tabs/whatever to read instead.
Hi Les

I am disappointed, but can't say I am surprised with the whole e-Ink scene
Do you have any recommendations where to shop for tablets? I am not a haggling type so little shops are probably out of the question.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,

m-reader
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey m-reader:

The 2 largest electronics shops in HK are Fortress and Broadway [think BestBuy, CircuitCity, etc]. Service can vary from awesome to pathetic, same as everywhere int he world. Pricing? TBH, I have seen prices in HK for this stuff go way up in recent years. There was a time not so long ago where computer gear was noticeably cheaper in HK. Not anymore I am afraid. I bought an Asus laptop in HK that definitely cost me 100USD more than it would have in NYC/USA.

The big tablet players here of course are iPad and Samsung. BB Playbook isn't here yet [which, as a devoted BB user of 10+ years kinda ticks me off]. What are you looking for? In any case, Fortress and Broadway sound like the best bets for you. Good selection, multiple stores and yes, you can still haggle a bit if you choose [hint: hard cash is KING in HK]. Also, at those places absolutely zero fear about knockoff merchandise. They guarantee it.

Drop me a line via PM if you wish. Perhaps we can email and, schedules permitting, meet for drink/coffee when you get to HK. When do you plan to arrive and what district will you be staying in?

cheers and good luck and enjoy HK!
-les

EDIT:
Pro-tip - getting hot and humid as hell here now so be advised
Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
m-reader
Guru

Thanks for the offer Les, I'll pm you with my schedule (still waiting to hear back from the client).
BTW, no fear re humidity and heat. You can't beat Dubai and Riyadh in July in that department
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Heat is not bad in HK (34C is pretty much tops), but the humidity is much higher than Dubai. Sort of like coming out of the shower the second you step outside. It doesn't cool down at night at all. And the air-condition in all public malls, hotels, restaurants, etc is turned up so high that you need a jacket. 10 years ago they measured 15C on HK buses in the summer time! It always feels like a cold winter day.

Besides, the days when you could find bargains on name brands in HK are pretty much over. Ever since the days when mainland shoppers descended on HK stores in greater numbers -- and they are used to very high prices for real name brand items at home, besides in HK they feel more certain that they won't get stuck with fake goods.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru

Thanks for the accurate advice guys, the situation was spot-on as you described it.
Unfortunately I was staying outside the main city area (near the airport), so I only managed to get out one evening.
I still managed to spend a bundle of money though
Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Heat is not bad in HK (34C is pretty much tops), but the humidity is much higher than Dubai. Sort of like coming out of the shower the second you step outside. It doesn't cool down at night at all. And the air-condition in all public malls, hotels, restaurants, etc is turned up so high that you need a jacket. 10 years ago they measured 15C on HK buses in the summer time! It always feels like a cold winter day.

Besides, the days when you could find bargains on name brands in HK are pretty much over. Ever since the days when mainland shoppers descended on HK stores in greater numbers -- and they are used to very high prices for real name brand items at home, besides in HK they feel more certain that they won't get stuck with fake goods.
^ This. Exactly so, as I have been told [and seen for myself over the years] as well.

Only exception may still be stuff like high-end watches, where HK is still global king and bargains can still be found [if you know people]...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Wan Chai Computer Centre and Sham Shui Po are the best places for buying branded and Mainland manufactured electronics - no fakes, and they love a bit of negotiating.

E-readers not common here but can get cracking deals on Android tablets to run Kindle software on
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Wan Chai Computer Centre and Sham Shui Po are the best places for buying branded and Mainland manufactured electronics - no fakes, and they love a bit of negotiating.

E-readers not common here but can get cracking deals on Android tablets to run Kindle software on
Too bad I didn't have the time to explore more ... Anyway, I'm happy with what I got (Acer Iconia 500 for HKD 3200).
Next time, eh
Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Indeed m-reader. Too bad this trip was so short, but if you ever come around again, there appear to be a few of us HKers hanging on MR.

And yes, Sham Sui Po/Wanchai are both a bit insane for computer gear. Pretty much everything you ever wanted, tech wise.

Don't forget to haggle - it is a HK way of life

Congrats and enjoy the Acer!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Too late now for the OP, but Swindon Books is supposed to be selling Kobo e-readers.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote