Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #31
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I wasn't aware of the ability to change brightness with e-ink
Well, it's not exactly the eInk's brightness you adjust, rather the brightness of the image. (i.e. software-adjustment)
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #32
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Regarding NOR flash: it's the place for bootloader. OS won't fit, even V3 firmware was too fat to be stored in 2MB.

512MB SDRAM: quite unlikely. Probably it's the NAND flash for OS and books, exactly like in 512MB V3 variant. There should be some RAM, but it probably will be 32-128MB.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #33
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
My 505 fits quite happily in my pockets (though I tend to keep it in the knee pocket of my work cargo trousers)

As did my iLiad for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Or broad assed pants, at least.
I will admit that mine are broader than the average though :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I said wide, not deep. It's more than big enough to hold a man's wallet (typically 3 - 3.5" when closed).
Geez I thought my wallet was pretty standard (it's actually smaller than most I've owned before) and it's almost 4 inchs wide and just less than that across when closed (About 8 inches open).

Last edited by Riocaz; 04-30-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You carry the reader in the inner pocket of your jacket. The problem is that the Cybook can be a tight fit. An 5" reader seems to fit these pockets much better.
Fine for those who wear jackets.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Fine for those who wear jackets.
I thought I had used the wrong word but google image confirmed that I meant jacket. What do you wear when it is cold if not a jacket or something similar?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the right word, Tommy, but it has several meanings. You used it in its sense of "a coat that you wear outside". Slayda used it in its other meaning of "formal" men's clothing - part of a suit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #37
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I thought I had used the wrong word but google image confirmed that I meant jacket. What do you wear when it is cold if not a jacket or something similar?
A thick sweater/pullover/jersey?

I rarely wear anything with inner or breast pockets, even when it's cold, not to mention the several months when it's too hot to wear anything but a short-sleeved T-shirt
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #38
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Also, in the US at least, a jacket is usually something light or medium-thickness worn only over the upper torso. If you're talking something heavier with thick insulation, or full-length like a trench, it's usually called a coat, not a jacket. But those usually have pockets too, so it would still apply.

But sweaters/jumpers are a good example of something you can wear when cold that usually don't have pockets.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #39
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First, it hasn't been all that cold in Alabama in recent years but also my "cold weather" jackets don't typically have large pockets & my "formal wear" jackets mainly don't get worn.

I thought you were refering to "formal wear" jackets due to the later post about men's wallets. I've never seen men keep a wallet in their "cold weather" jacket but men who typically wear suits may carry their wallet in their "formal wear" jacket pocket.

It's so nice when we all speak the same language, differently.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I thought you were refering to "formal wear" jackets due to the later post about men's wallets. I've never seen men keep a wallet in their "cold weather" jacket but men who typically wear suits may carry their wallet in their "formal wear" jacket pocket.
When you put your pocket book or your reader in the pocket you no longer have the option putting the wallet there

Actually I always looked at the the size of the inner pocket before buying an informal jacket to make sure a pocket book fitted there. I thought all book readers did that...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #41
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
When you put your pocket book or your reader in the pocket you no longer have the option putting the wallet there

Actually I always looked at the the size of the inner pocket before buying an informal jacket to make sure a pocket book fitted there. I thought all book readers did that...
Most of the "informal" (i.e. cold weather) jackets I've bought in the USA do not have internal pockets.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #42
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
On the second page of the Chinese site I found this picture of the Hanlin V5 with a scroll wheel on the right edge. The Chinese text says that this "scroll wheel" is in addition to the original 2 sets of buttons for page turning, making a total of 3 ways to turn pages. See the bottom picture on this link.
http://www.mobread.com/news/exclusive/2009363.html
That scroll wheel would be a BOON to ease of use for a reader. If that is one of the devices Astak is working to sell, I bet this is some thing RobertB had some input about as it was mentioned early on in the Astak thread.

Only one teeny issue on that reader...I am not sure about people in Asia, where they do not read left to right, but for reading right to left the wheel works better in on the left side. Or maybe I am just used to it being there on my Clie nx73v. I have to say that is the single best device controller I have found on any hand held device. Seriously on the Clie it allows complete one handed operation not only for reading.

Nice find...and here is hoping they put it on a 5" device but for us in the western world it migrates over to the left side of the device.

BTW, I think the left side is better since more folks are right handed and seem to prefer using our left hand to hold books as we read. For a PDA it made sense as it freed up the right hand for things like text input or the spots where the wheel was not really the best option.

I love seeing it though!! Hope it pans out in the long term!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #43
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
+1

I have always bought only sportswear or any other type of jacket only if it had an inside pocket somewhere. In fact I usually look for those with two and at least one hidden pocket somewhere.

If ya live in the US and are anywhere near a Burlington Coat Factory, that is jacket nirvana!! hahahaha...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I just always carry a bag with me... (not a purse mind you, but a backpack!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Hanlin V9 in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
On the Chinese site, I just saw a notice saying the Hanlin V9 is to be released shortly. It will have a 9.7 inch screen (825x1200 pixels) and weigh 320g (including battery). A replacement for the Iliad?
Dera Polyglot27:

Do not mean to ruin the parade but Jinke told me directly OCTOBER, 2009 for the V9. This is due to delay caused on the part of the panel manufacturwer ii making and mass producing the Flexi screen.

I repeat... this is direct from Jinke (makers of Hanlin).

The EZ Reader Pocket Pro (V5) is, however, releasing in about two months in colors and with Epson controller! So, there is good news too!

Last edited by Robertb; 06-01-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote