Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mobipocket Creator Help?

I need some help with MobiPocket Creator. I'm trying to make a table of contents for a book. I get the table of contents to show up, but it does not include the hyperlinks to chapters that it ought to.

Can anyone help me out?

(I'd particularly appreciate if someone can contact me with Skype or Google Talk; I can set a view-only password in VNC and you can guide me through it.)
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I never got that working. I decided to do it the 'simple' way. I use Word as an editor and let it create a TOC. It saves you the hasle and works great. You only need one file in your project and only one place to edit.

I tried reading the documentation from Mobipocket and I wonder why anybody wanted to use the Creator for a TOC. Most of the time you are busy editting your file anyway. And HTML, RTF end Word all can have a TOC created from Word or Open Office, so why use two systems

Last edited by Ortep; 09-05-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All right, so let's say I already have a table of contents file in HTML.

How do I make Mobipocket use it (and for that matter, keep the "next/prev chapter" links in the individual chapter HTML files)?

To clarify, I'm making an e-book out of a Baen Free Library title that is no longer in the current Baen Free Library, and I had to scoop down from an archive.org page with a wget.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Look at my tutoral LINK
Scroll down to the section
Using MobiCreator to create an external TOC

In the HTML the attribute looks like <p class="2CHAPTERTITLE"> TITLE </P>

Look at the attached photo to see how I fill in the fields

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
All right, so let's say I already have a table of contents file in HTML.

How do I make Mobipocket use it (and for that matter, keep the "next/prev chapter" links in the individual chapter HTML files)?
In the "Guide" section of Mobi Creator, add a guide item of type "toc", whose filename is the name of your table of contents file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I need some help with MobiPocket Creator. I'm trying to make a table of contents for a book. I get the table of contents to show up, but it does not include the hyperlinks to chapters that it ought to.

Can anyone help me out?
What book?

Mobi Creator looks for defined HTML tags to tell it what entries are Table of Contents entries. For a recent effort, making that work involved bringing up the HTML file in an editor, searching for Chapter, and putting <h1>/</h1> tags around each relevant entry. Once that was done, I could specify "h1" as the Tag name in the Table of Contents Wizard First Level. Mobi found the relevant tags, added entries to produce the relevant jump points, and things worked fine.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the "Guide" section of Mobi Creator, add a guide item of type "toc", whose filename is the name of your table of contents file.
That will add a jump to the Table of Contents in the Reader menu, but won't produce the ToC. He needs help in getting a working ToC in the first place.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
That will add a jump to the Table of Contents in the Reader menu, but won't produce the ToC. He needs help in getting a working ToC in the first place.
______
Dennis
No, he's asking how to make Mobi use the TOC, not create it. He says "so let's say I already have a table of contents file in HTML."
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
BillT
BillT began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi, Did you ever get a satisfactory answer? I ask because I am trying to do the same thing. I have many chapters of a textbook in PDF form that I am trying to put on a kindle. I can get all the chapters on it, but the kindle recognized each as a separate book. I would like to build a TOC that works instead. Can you help?
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote