Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #31
teralpar
teralpar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini w/Retina
I just traded my iPad Mini over the weekend for an iPad Mini w/Retina, and for me there's definitely a difference, especially in reading text. I thought the original Mini was decent enough for reading but once I saw the one w/Retina there was no way I was going back to the 1st gen Mini!
teralpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by teralpar View Post
I just traded my iPad Mini over the weekend for an iPad Mini w/Retina, and for me there's definitely a difference, especially in reading text. I thought the original Mini was decent enough for reading but once I saw the one w/Retina there was no way I was going back to the 1st gen Mini!
So true!

Like people say, you never miss what you don't have or didn't have before.

If you bought a Retina mini and grab and old Mini at some point , try to read, you'll notice how blur fonts are on the old one.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #33
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Personally, I would go with the latest model simply because of the A5 vs. A7 chip. Apple has a way of phasing out the older chips in terms of the newest iOS and I've noticed many apps are requiring iOS 7 now. In terms of app longevity, you will get a longer run out of the retina display. Good luck!
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #34
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So true!

Like people say, you never miss what you don't have or didn't have before.

If you bought a Retina mini and grab and old Mini at some point , try to read, you'll notice how blur fonts are on the old one.
I took my 1st gen mini in when we went to Best Buy to try them out. I was able to pull up various text pages on some different reading apps and it was clear that the Retina was SO much smoother.

The 1st gen's fonts looked pixelated when you compared them. Huge difference to me, and I've been very happy with the Retina ever since.
DuskyRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #35
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I took my 1st gen mini in when we went to Best Buy to try them out. I was able to pull up various text pages on some different reading apps and it was clear that the Retina was SO much smoother.

The 1st gen's fonts looked pixelated when you compared them. Huge difference to me, and I've been very happy with the Retina ever since.
I upgraded to the iPad 4 with retina screen from the iPad 2 mainly for the better fonts. My old eyes appreciate it. And my daughter, who inherited the iPad 2, appreciated it too.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I became impatient and bought the first gen. I'll be selling it now because I realise with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight vision that the retina screen was what I actually needed.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #37
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

I use my Mini for class. I have the Kindle app on there, Pages, and Canvas. I have been able to get most of the required books( not all though) in digital format. I finally upgraded to a Retina Mini when I saw how much clearer text looks on there.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #38
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Further to my previous post... I still have the original mini, it just lives next to the couch and its for quick lookups of stuff I can't be bothered getting out of the chair for. I am not reading on it in any serious way.

With rumours firming up about the next generation of iPhone, I'm now holding off. It isnt that I want a massive screen on my phone, but given that most of my reading is currently done on 3.5", 5.5 would be great (yes, the mini is still too big for me, as the regular ipad was, for that). I looked at the 5" Kobo and it was a bit small. I have a 6" Kobo Glo and its OK. 5.5" would be perfect, and I would likely never use the mini again, let alone replace it with a newer model.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is not just diagonal size that matters. It is also aspect ratio. To determine how much text fits on the screen you need to know the area of the screen. I have collected this data in our wiki on the page Screen sizes. There are charts you can consult. You could also use some of the dimension data to simulate a smaller size on your existing device using wider margins.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
kyteflyer
Wizard

Yep I know that. But for me its also about the weight, and the Retina mini is heavier than the original, and the original mini is still too heavy for me to hold in one hand, which is what I want to do when reading.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is not just diagonal size that matters. It is also aspect ratio. To determine how much text fits on the screen you need to know the area of the screen. I have collected this data in our wiki on the page Screen sizes. There are charts you can consult. You could also use some of the dimension data to simulate a smaller size on your existing device using wider margins.

Dale
Indeed. The iPhone 5 and above has a tall and narrow screen, like most smartphones today. That narrow screen, even in a 5.5" diagonal might still be too small for use as a primary reader for many people. I can easily read on my iPhone 5, but it does not look aesthetically pleasing to see such few words per line. I think a 3 to 4 screen ratio works and looks much better for reading than the 9 or 10 to 16 ratio. But to each their own of course.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #42
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Indeed. The iPhone 5 and above has a tall and narrow screen, like most smartphones today. That narrow screen, even in a 5.5" diagonal might still be too small for use as a primary reader for many people. I can easily read on my iPhone 5, but it does not look aesthetically pleasing to see such few words per line. I think a 3 to 4 screen ratio works and looks much better for reading than the 9 or 10 to 16 ratio. But to each their own of course.
agreed. Thats why I have stayed on my iPhone 4S, for the 4:3. I am intending to upgrade to the next one, though, whatever it is, so I am just keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that they dont persist with long and skinny. At least, not for both the new iphones, if the rumoured sizes prove to be somewhat correct.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #43
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
iPad Mini 1 or iPad Mini With Retina?

I'll be completely shocked if Apple goes back to 4:3 for the iPhone. If there are two sizes I think it will be the 5/5s version and the new bigger version.

Last edited by JBaby; 04-08-2014 at 01:04 PM.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I'll be completely shocked if Apple goes back to 4:3 for the iPhone. If there are two sizes I think it will be the 5/5s version and the new bigger version.
They were never 4:3 on phones. The 4 and 4S are 3:2 (960x640) and the 5 extended the 960 to 1136 pixels.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #45
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They were never 4:3 on phones. The 4 and 4S are 3:2 (960x640) and the 5 extended the 960 to 1136 pixels.

Dale

Thanks for the correction. My point still stands though.😄
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote