Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Sarsnake
Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can Nook read books from USB device that were not bought from B&N?

Hi everyone

I am looking at purchasing Nook, but I want to make sure it will do what I need it to do.

Can Nook open files from USB flash memory that were not purchased from B&N? Say I have a book in ePub format, can read it using Nook, without having to crack or root the device?

Or is Nook only intended to read books purchased from B&N?

Thanks in advance and thank you for your time.
Sarsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsnake View Post
Hi everyone

I am looking at purchasing Nook, but I want to make sure it will do what I need it to do.

Can Nook open files from USB flash memory that were not purchased from B&N? Say I have a book in ePub format, can read it using Nook, without having to crack or root the device?

You can read DRM-free ePubs. Or BN DRM-ed books, as long as you know the credit card used to purchase them.

All my books are sideloaded; whenever I get a new one, I remove DRM and sideload it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Hi everyone

You can read ePub books with Adobe DRM and ePub books without DRM.
The Nook can read all ePub books, except those from the Apple ibooks store (because Apple uses its own DRM).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Sarsnake
Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarsnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can read DRM-free ePubs. Or BN DRM-ed books, as long as you know the credit card used to purchase them.

All my books are sideloaded; whenever I get a new one, I remove DRM and sideload it.
Are you reading them off your USB device? Just want to confirm before I buy it.

Also do you have a new Nook Touch? A friend of mine told me that new edition of Nook Touch won't read non B&N books from USB device.

How do you remove DRM from the book (or make sure it has none)? Sorry for the dumb questions - I am a total newb when it comes to e-readers.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
spinee
spinee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:

Also do you have a new Nook Touch? A friend of mine told me that new edition of Nook Touch won't read non B&N books from USB device.
as far as i know, the ST can't read books from a USB device (though i haven't tried it). do you mean USB or just microSD card? i have the original ST (though the system is current) which reads non-B&N books off its microSD card with no problems.
spinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

How do you remove DRM from the book (or make sure it has none)? Sorry for the dumb questions - I am a total newb when it comes to e-readers.
I have a touch and, if by "USB" you mean the SD card, then yes, you can use an SD card for your sideloaded books.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Can Nook open files from USB flash memory ... without having to crack or root the device?
In order for the NST to access USB-attached flash media you'll have to root it and install a special app -- see here for instruction.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Sarsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
In order for the NST to access USB-attached flash media you'll have to root it and install a special app -- see here for instruction.

Oh I don't want to do that, no cracking/hacking/etc.

If I can move files from my PC with USB cable over to Nook w/o, that is sufficient.
Looks like that is doable according to other posters. Or do I need to root it too in this case?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Oh I don't want to do that, no cracking/hacking/etc.

If I can move files from my PC with USB cable over to Nook w/o, that is sufficient.
Looks like that is doable according to other posters. Or do I need to root it too in this case?
That's how it works, no need to root. When you connect the nook to the PC it appears as a mass storage device. You can drag and drop books to it, or use a Library app like Calibre to do it for you.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
hesham.alnaggar
hesham.alnaggar began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab10.1
Can the nst w/g read pdf files directly from any ordinary sd card?
hesham.alnaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesham.alnaggar View Post
Can the nst w/g read pdf files directly from any ordinary sd card?
Yes, it can, but reading PDFs on a 6" device is not a pretty experience.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
paw3pals
Enthusiast
paw3pals doesn't litterpaw3pals doesn't litter

Device: nook tablet
Quote:
SNIP

Google Apprentice Alf. There are some Calibre plugins......
paw3pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I will try to be precise:

- The Nook has a slot for a microSD card (not SD). You can put non-B&N epub books on a microSD card (that you provide - it does not come with one).

- The (stock) Nook can act as a USB slave, but not as a USB master. That is, you can connect the Nook to your PC or Mac (or...) and copy files to/from the Nook (both the internal memory and the microSD card) using the PC and appropriate software. But you cannot connect a USB drive to the Nook and do anything with it.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let me use some non-technical, flabby language here:

Connect your nook to your computer. Your computer will "recognize" your nook.

That's it.

I have over 2,000 ebooks on my nook. I do, however, use calibre to "manage" my ebook collection.

By the way, we a have Library of FREE ebooks here - thousands of public domain epubs. Every one of those ebooks can be loaded into your [future nook].

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
hesham.alnaggar
hesham.alnaggar began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, it can, but reading PDFs on a 6" device is not a pretty experience.
Why? Can you view me a screen shoot of a pdf file on nst, please? Almost all my reads from pdf files and i read them on a galaxy note 10.1 but for the issue of battery i want to buy an ereader
hesham.alnaggar is offline   Reply With Quote