Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
is it possible to save the current mosaic widget and then re install this once updated (adding it back as a 3rd party widget)
To my knowledge, no since it is wrapped up in an apk that provides other functionality. Whar I ended up doing was deleting the widget and replacing it with. The kobo large one.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Intalled today's update and it is working fine, I don't like having the recommendations on the home screen. will follow the instructions to root again when I have more time.

At least the Market is still working (did a test app install).
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
To my knowledge, no since it is wrapped up in an apk that provides other functionality. Whar I ended up doing was deleting the widget and replacing it with. The kobo large one.
Thanks, think I will be doing the same

I like to keep latest software on things, just for any bug fixes that have been added
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
is it possible to save the current mosaic widget and then re install this once updated (adding it back as a 3rd party widget)

my knowledge of Android OS is virtually nil so unsure how widgets work
I'm not sure, but it would be great if we could. The new Mosaic widget also reduces the number of "user" book covers it displays, in order to make room for the ad-revenue generating "recommended reading" bar .

Now I wish that I could roll back the update, but I'm sure there's no way to do that. At least i can take comfort in the fact that other than the initial cash my brother put down for the unit, I have never, and will never, be giving Kobo any money for content.

Last edited by Kboland; 03-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I'm guessing the recommended reading widget is a separate one from the last read books widget. You'd probably have to root the Vox to get rid of it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I'm guessing the recommended reading widget is a separate one from the last read books widget. You'd probably have to root the Vox to get rid of it.

Nope, they removed the old "last read books" widget and replaced it with the new one.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Now I wish that I could roll back the update, but I'm sure there's no way to do that.
I'm not sure but that tricky reset that hieronymos figured out (it should be stickied, just search) is the closet thing to a true factory reset that exists. However, I'm not sure if it goes back to the version of the software your unit came with or just the last downloaded one. Anyone know?

[edit]: Scratch that, now that I think about it, you will have to go through initial setup using that reset which will force you to download the current update.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I'm in Canada, and my little android guy didn't come up. Wifi is on, is there a way for me to force this. I know where firmware update is, but as posted previously this is just software and no updates available for firmware.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
peterhondak,

Go to Settings, About Kobo eReader, System Update. This should find the update and allow you to download and install it.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
I'm in Canada, and my little android guy didn't come up. Wifi is on, is there a way for me to force this. I know where firmware update is, but as posted previously this is just software and no updates available for firmware.
Menu button > Settings > scroll down to bottom, About Kobo Reader and press > System Update (check for system update). Be sure your WiFi is on.

(The firmware update is in All Apps, but there isn't any right now.)

From what I can see, the update is just promotional stuff and Facebook. However, there are probably bug fixes too, which we may not know about until someone from Kobo tells us. You have to take the wheat with the chaff.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
SOD is gone for me with this update though WFS remains. Suggestions aren't great; they come up when you close a book too. Still, the reliability is better. Oh and it sleeps while reading books now too.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
mkessler
mkessler began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
OK, update installed, re-rooted again, everything appears OK.

To re-root, you can do it this way (on Windows Vista) (I'm deliberately not doing this simple step-by-step, as this is probably just for geeks):

- Install adb. Need platform tools and extras USB driver package. Don't know the minimum required. I installed 2.3 as well.

- Plug in Vox and let Windows attempt to find USB driver. It won't find one. Then do the following to install the driver. This was definitely the messiest step. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Device Manager, find Kobo, update driver software, browse my computer, let me pick, have disk, point to /Program Files/Android/android-sdk/extras/google, pick Android ADB Composite Interface. May need reboot at this point.

- edit adb_usb.ini in /Users/(you)/.android to add 0x2237 as first line. (This is the Kobo device code for adb)

- run adb start-server, adb devices to ensure you have the Kobo listed. If not, one of the above steps went wrong, try again.

- download SuperOneClick and run it on Windows. It may say your Vox appears to be rooted already. Just tell it to continue. This is simple and just takes a few seconds. Unplug your Vox and reboot.

That's it!

Keith

P.S. Thanks to Brad from Kobo, James/ne0rmatrix and the SuperOneClick guys
Hi;

Could you post a more detailed instruction on how to re-root my Kobo Vox after the update. I am not as geeky as required.

My market is gone and Gingerbreak fails.

Tanks
mkessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
I'm not sure, but it would be great if we could. The new Mosaic widget also reduces the number of "user" book covers it displays, in order to make room for the ad-revenue generating "recommended reading" bar .
After opening another book in the Kobo reader, I now also see it bookmarked on the Home screen. Perhaps it shows fewer bookmarked books now, but how many books do you want to have open and go back to? Yes, the "Recommended just for you" thing is spam, but easy to ignore (although I'd welcome a way to get rid of it without extreme measures, like rooting).
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
SOD is not fixed here, what a drag that they can't get this resolved.

I am also seeing a new problem now, it has decided the book I am reading is now a preview copy and asks me to buy now when I try to turn to next page. I bought it once already I don't plan to buy it again. Tried deleting it and sync, doesn't come back, and it is now gone from my library on the web site too! Guess I will have to read it on my touch and remember not to sync that until after I finish reading that book. Glad I keep backups of the epubs.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Wow, seems they updated the Kobo mosaic widget as well, which now includes a 'Recommended Just For You" bar displaying 4 book covers. This, while slightly unwanted I'm sure not just by me, is made more agrivation by the fact that all 4 of my recommended books are in German. I neither speak German, or have any German books or books about Germany in my Library. The Kobo team must be having a grand old time rolling around in all that ad-revenue money....
-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah....I'm NOT HAPPY about this 'addition' either. Also, I think that my screen sensitivity has been dumbed down. I now need many taps to get reaction as well as multiple swipes for action.

Not happy with this 'enhanced' software update. Soon, I think I might just go back to purchasing p-books and the benefits thereof. I'm just not so enamoured by this e-reading as I was a few months back....

I don't 'do' Facebook, and this update seems to even more entrench 'in your face' Facebook and the social let's read and have a group hug, thing.

Kobo books are climbing continuously in price, and I see that I can now get HARD COVER for equal cost to an e-book file, and in some instances...BELOW the cost of downloading an e-book!!!!

Frankly, this was not what I was anticipating about three months ago, when I got into buying an e-reader. Not at all. I thought it would be a less expensive form of reading recreation. It is not turning out that way, as each month goes by. The cost of e-reading is moving like an next-floor escalator! Becoming disillusioned.

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 03-02-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote