Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
skapsal
Edge User

Android SDK tools (adb) connection to edge

Anyone know how to connect to edge from Android SDK tools (adb)? I tried connecting and mounting usb conection, then adb -d shell. No device found.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
dvorme
Edge User

I asked tech support. ADB is turned off for now. So to develop requires setting up an emulator, building for that, then transferring to the Edge and hoping everything works the same way.

I HOPE they fix this SOON!

Dave

Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
skapsal
Edge User

Yeah, I've been trying to get it (adb) working. If I could just access the /data/data/.../settings.db file and turn back on the usb debug setting. Also, found in init.rc where it's setting the perms on data directories, but I can't chmod the file so I can write it. Ahhh, hate being locked out of this cool device.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
skapsal
Edge User

btw, I have the computer seeing the device after loading the android USB driver. Since usb debug is tunned off "adb devices" shows the device, but always "offline". And it shows the serial as 123456789...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
kurtharriger
Edge User

this actually used to work before the march update. I contacted support about it and they would only say that development is not currently supported but that it would be supported when the SDK is released.

This initially pi55ed me off a little bit as the primary reason I bought the device was for the open android OS and the larger screen size. I won't buy another Apple device until they quit dictating what I can do with my own personal propery.

There are laws that protect copyrighted material so it shouldn't be necessary for entourage to restrict legitimate legal use of adb root access in some futile attempt to prevent illegal use by crackers who have more than sufficient skill, and are perhaps challenged by the restrictions, to do so regardless.

I was tempted to open the device, mount the file system using my computer and re-enable the adbd service, but I decided I was overreacting a bit and would at least wait for the SDK.

For starters, Im anxiously awaiting the android 2, flash, and marketplace. The last update I installed failed and I had to ship it back, so I don't want any support or warrenty issues if the next update also fails for some reason.

Additionaly, root access is not strictly necessay to develop applications. You can use the emulator initially and then copy and install the apk file when completed. However, the emulator is very slow and I can't get it to start at all using the larger screen size so adbd debugging is still a very much needed feature and I hope that they re-enable it when the SDK is released.

Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
robot
Edge User

Just for information:
adbd daemon running on port 5037,
but on unmodified EE I was unable to use wifi adb connect *.*.*.*:5037 it start daemon, but then got error anyway.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
robot
Edge User

p.s. also we can run terminal command:
$ setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1
then reboot and
$ getprop
but it doesn't help to connect (probably will help for USB, but I didn't tried).