Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it IS intriguing to think about having all of the absolutely correct proportions of any given ingredient!
Frankly, I'm gob-smacked at the precision of the entire operation. When I take everything out of the box it doesn't look like nearly enough food to feed us. But at the end of the meal we are quite full, and nothing is left in the dishes. As I said before, it's odd to see half a carrot or a small wedge of pumpkin, half a turnip, etc., but it all works out.

Quote:
gives you more time to work on the cookbook!
It does, doesn't it.
On the road again... just can't wait to get on the road again... the life I love is making music with my friends... and I can't wait to get on the road again.... On the road again, going places that I've never been. Seein' things that I may never see again. And I can't wait to get on the road again.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Okay, not me, but is anybody thinking... "hmm, a niche to be filled here."
By the way, love the holly!
They really have filled a niche with this program. The Japanese work ethic is such that many people simply do not have time to shop every day for foods, while at the same time, the average Japanese house doesn't have storage space, either frozen or packaged, for a week's worth of food. Combine that with the time factor, coming home from work at 7-8pm and then having to figure out what to eat, get everything ready, do the prep work for each dish, etc., etc., etc., and you can see why there is such an amazing variety of cooked take-away meals offered in every convenience store, and from vendors surround every large train and bus station. This service gives a much wider choice of foods, all very fresh, ready to be prepped and cooked, waiting right beside your door when you get home. You can even choose from a selection of boil-in-the-bag meals for days when you know you will be too tired to cook! There is a new menu magazine every week with another 25-30 different meals, as well as a selection of deserts, beer or sake, and other snacks! And all of this at a savings of about 30% compared with having to do the shopping yourself!

Although it's not something we will use every week, it will become a regular feature to be used one week a month or so. So far, everything has been quite tasty!

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Germany was a lot like that, I often wonder if it has changed. the little village I lived in had one small store that I shopped in frequently, but was closed by the time I got home. fortunately I had a US sized fridge and a large pantry, so continued to shop (mostly) like I did in the states. I could also call the Nanny or leave her a list of things to get. I tried to spend as much locally as possible, I worked pretty hard and not being the "ugly Americans" in the village. our son was welcome everywhere (daughter was too young) at we always had as many of the village kids over as possible for their birthdays. everyone wanted to come eat American cake and ice cream ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
I don't think I could handle that kind of deal.
I usually cook enough for the week on my days off.
I grew up on leftovers.
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
one of the intriguing parts is having the "what is for dinner" dilemma taken care of
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
This is indeed a new way of eating

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Catholic_Love
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #22
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLight View Post
I don't think I could handle that kind of deal.
I usually cook enough for the week on my days off.
I grew up on leftovers.
Our freezer is mostly for leftovers. When I cook (without this program) I usually make enough for 4-5 people at a time. We eat for three so there is always at least one or two meals to be frozen. These usually get used on weekends when we are too lazy to cook, or have been out and about and are just not interested in cooking when we get home. I like having a good stock of MRE's that I made that just need to be thawed and nuked for a good dinner. It's one drawback for me of this new program.

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
one of the intriguing parts is having the "what is for dinner" dilemma taken care of
I actually like that part. I make it easier by asking my wife 'what country do you want to eat from tonight?' which narrow's the playing field considerably. I usually have the time during my day to stroll through the street markets to buy the needed ingredients, and I enjoy the interaction with the vendors. Once one has a good variety of herbs and spices on hand, it's usually easy to find the bits and pieces to create good regional foods easily.

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I actually like that part. I make it easier by asking my wife 'what country do you want to eat from tonight?' which narrow's the playing field considerably. I usually have the time during my day to stroll through the street markets to buy the needed ingredients, and I enjoy the interaction with the vendors. Once one has a good variety of herbs and spices on hand, it's usually easy to find the bits and pieces to create good regional foods easily.

Stitchawl
if I lived in Seattle that might be an option, as I refuse to live in a city I don't get to that kind of a market very often.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #25
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
It's getting harder and harder to find a good greengrocer here.
The supermarkets are terrible and the little guys are a dying breed.
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote