Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
Scribble merger kills bookmarks

I tried (for a first time) to merge scribles into pdf file and found all bookmarks I've been crafting for a few week disappeared from resulting pdf.

Am I doing something wrong or that is a known issue ? If the latter - can someone suggest a workaround ?

Thanks.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
what bookmarks? is there a bookmark feature in the iliad PDF viewer that I am missing? how to invoke it?
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACbKA
what bookmarks? is there a bookmark feature in the iliad PDF viewer that I am missing? how to invoke it?
Most of the PDF files have a bookmarks - they are the links/shortcuts to particular locations within PDF document. I am sure that at the moment Iliad PDF software does can't display them (due to the screen size limitations of the Iliad it might be reasonable approach) but you can watch bookmarks in almost every PDF viewer.

Download the FoxIt reader (it's free), run it and open that file:

http://www.irextechnologies.com/file...e%20Manual.pdf

navigate into "View" menu then click on "Bookmark" menu item. Bookmarks will be displayed on the left size of the window.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
I know what PDF bookmarks are, as well as the fact that in-document hyperlinks do work on Iliad --- I use latex package hyperref to make my \tableofcontents hyperlinked, and to jump to chapters using the stylus. I just wondered if you somehow were creating the bookmarks right on the iliad, or getting the bookmark view there. From what you have now explained, I reckon you mean to use the same doc. both on the PC and the iliad.

Are you using the Bert's java scribble merger, or the other one (the python-based, IIRC)?
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACbKA
I know what PDF bookmarks are, as well as the fact that in-document hyperlinks do work on Iliad --- I use latex package hyperref to make my \tableofcontents hyperlinked, and to jump to chapters using the stylus. I just wondered if you somehow were creating the bookmarks right on the iliad, or getting the bookmark view there. From what you have now explained, I reckon you mean to use the same doc. both on the PC and the iliad.

Are you using the Bert's java scribble merger, or the other one (the python-based, IIRC)?
No, I'm not creating hyperlinks on the Iliad. OK, here's what I did:

*I added bookmarks to the PDF document on my PC. These bookmarks are not visible/nor accessible in the page view, to navigate thru them one have to use a "bookmark view".

*Uploaded the document to Iliad memory using "Iliad companion software".

*On Iliad I opened that PDF document and made a few notes using stylus.

*Using the "Iliad companion software" I had merged my notes (there is a "Merge" button which does that) and original PDF file into a new PDF, so I could see the notes I've made on Iliad on my PC.

*The new PDF file surprisingly contains no bookmarks at all - they are all gone!

I don't fancy the idea of saving bookmarks every time before the file gets uploaded to Iliad and restoring them back (they are actually very handy on PC) after the scribbles were merged into a new document - my question is - is there any way to avoid these hassles?

Since I'm a very new owner of the Iliad - I haven't have a chance to try the software you mentioned.

Last edited by Scifier; 04-04-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
I checked with my own pdf merger tool, and it had the same problem. I fixed it immediately.
You can find the latest version (v1.6) here (You'll need java 1.4.2 though). This version should preserve all original pdf's properties (bookmarks, file-info, forms, ...).
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote