Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry, it's trivial to create an LRF that has no headers/footers for those that dislike them. And it's trivial to create an LRF that has headers/footers. So why not just create both versions?

Because of how easy it is, I am going to be creating two versions. One the way I like it and one the way a lot of others like. That will make it a better reading experience as people will then have a choice of formats for what is a best fit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All that we, as book "creators", can do, is produce books which we personally like the appearance of.
Harry, that is exactly what book designers do every day and why some pbooks are "user-friendly" and others are not. A good design enhances the reading experience. In a way, this is one of the failings of ebooks -- the benefits of good design are lost. But that will change as ebooks mature.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I read everything in landscape format in order to get bigger fonts. However, instead of each page turn click turning the page, each click turns a half page. So it ends up being double the number of clicks.

For me, I would prefer no headers or margins. That half page can't spare the half inch for the headers. But, whenever I turn it back to portrait format, I think the header makes it look more like a pbook and is pretty. I can easily ignore the header, because although the text font may be larger, the header stays tiny.

What would be really great would be if the bottom half of the page didn't waste space by dragging along the last line or two from the top half of the page.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Well, Jon, we part ways once again on style of ebooks . I like having headers and/or footers. I tend to read 4 to 6 books at a time and I like the reminders the headers and/or footers provide. It isn't critical, but nice.

As for the "wasted" space, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I prefer ebooks with more space between elements. I find them easier to read, especially as I (and my eyes) get older. A few extra pixels doesn't hurt.
i completely agree with this on all points.

and as i've said before, given the battery life of e-ink, i really don't see why a few extra page turns per book should be anything to worry about.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
When i create an ebook i don't care much about "beauty". I can look at my wife if i want see "beauty". The reading experience seems to be much more important: formatting, base font size, using the avalaible space so good as possible, fixing errors in the text, and so on.
I don't get it...wasting space for showing the book title on each page because a reader might want to know which ebook is open on the reader? All devices i'm aware of are able to show a "currently reading"-hint. If one thinks it's a good idea to read four or five books at a time then using bookmarks might be a good idea too. Well, i know that design is always a difficult thingy. Different people, different point of views.

Another idea: We could at least release an additional edition of each ebook formatted for people with visual impairments. Big base font sizes, no headers and no footers. Just well formatted text using as much space as possible. This would be a good thing.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What would be really great would be if the bottom half of the page didn't waste space by dragging along the last line or two from the top half of the page.
It doesn't "waste space". The Reader "paginates" books into fixed pages, and in landscape mode displays the page in two halves - first the top half, and then the bottom half. Due to the aspect ratio of the screen, however, it actually displays MORE than half a page on the screen, so there is an "overlap" between the top and bottom halves. What would you prefer should be done with that overlap region?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote