Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Document transferred to the K marked "read-only" Wassup?

I frequently send my own documents to the Kindle via email/USB transfer. Today I sent an updated version of an existing document. The email from Amazon came back as usual, I saved the file, and when I tried to drag it to the Documents subfolder of the Kindle, I kept getting a message that it was "read-only" and could not be transferred.

When I checked the attributes of the file, it definitely was not read-only. I broke down and attached it and paid my $0.15 to have it sent via Whispernet, and it arrived perfectly OK. The very same document that previously via the free email was marked read-only.

I have transferred docs many times via the free email with no problem. Any clue what happened this time?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Well, no answer anyway, but disregard this. Today tried it with another document and it worked perfectly. Must have been some glitch in their converting it.
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
There's another thread floating in this forum (can't dig it out of my memory yet) about this issue. Apparently some books/docs got loaded as "read only" files as if they were periodicals - which shows up as "keep" on your screen. May be similar to what happened with you.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
There's another thread floating in this forum (can't dig it out of my memory yet) about this issue. Apparently some books/docs got loaded as "read only" files as if they were periodicals - which shows up as "keep" on your screen. May be similar to what happened with you.
Thanks for that info. Glad it is not just me...well not glad, but relieved. I thought I might have goofed up somehow, but could not see how.

Being a miser, I hate to pay the 15 cents when I can get it free, so next time, if there is one, will wait a day or two and try again.