Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #31
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
About half or more of the digital public library collections mentioned in this thread are hosted by Overdrive. They provide a search page for all such libraries that they host arranged by country and state. You'll find many such collections that haven't been mentioned in this thread including some outside of the U.S.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #32
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I went over to the Fairfax library today and told them that, although I'm not a Fairfax resident, I do live next door and would like a library card for downloading eBooks. And they cheerfully gave me one.

Based on a quick browse, it appears Fairfax has a large collection of eBooks most of which were available; only a few being on hold.

But, when I went to check one out, the system asked me for a password, which I don't have and there is no intuitive way to get one. So, I sent Fairfax Library an eMail asking them how I go about this.

Fingers crossed, I'll get one soon and have access to lots of free books
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #33
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
But, when I went to check one out, the system asked me for a password, which I don't have and there is no intuitive way to get one. So, I sent Fairfax Library an eMail asking them how I go about this.
When you check out an eBook, log on with your FCPL card number and your initial password should be set to 1111 by default.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you log in, you just need your library card #. I've never heard of needing a password. A pin number maybe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
My local library requires a 4 digit pin. It is the two digit month and last two digits of the year you were born.

The library has over 1,300 books available in PDF format. I did a search of the Chicago Public Library and they only have 1,000 titles available in PDF format. Strange.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #36
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I went over to the Fairfax library today and told them that, although I'm not a Fairfax resident, I do live next door and would like a library card for downloading eBooks. And they cheerfully gave me one.

Based on a quick browse, it appears Fairfax has a large collection of eBooks most of which were available; only a few being on hold.

Fingers crossed, I'll get one soon and have access to lots of free books
For Cleveland's library the card # is the login name and the password is either the last 4 digits of your SSN or phone number, whichever they have on file.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #37
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I finally figured out the 1111 PIN and got in fine. Haven't downloaded anything yet but will tonight if I get a chance.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #38
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The Sacramento Library requires a password. The San Jose Library requires a four or five digit pin. I think it just depends on the library.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #39
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

And I successfully downloaded a book from the Fairfax eBook Library and moved it over to my Sony 505. I did it through Adobe Digital Editions and it looks great. This is a great resource.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #40
shawn99
shawn99 began at the beginning.

Which library has the most comprehensive collection of sci-fi fiction?
shawn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #41
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm really not sure, Shawn. There are four or five listed there that will accept nonresident library card applications at a reasonable cost. If you went to those sites I'm sure it wouldn't take too long to find out which has the best SciFi collection. It would be cool if you did that and then let us know. That would be real cool.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #42
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, but one of the really cool things about ADE is that you can return books early if you've read them (or hate them) and they will immediately come off your checked out list so that you can check out something else. To do so, from the library mode, just click on the little arrow the the left of the book name and you will find a "return book" command.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #43
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, but one of the really cool things about ADE is that you can return books early if you've read them (or hate them) and they will immediately come off your checked out list so that you can check out something else. To do so, from the library mode, just click on the little arrow the the left of the book name and you will find a "return book" command.

cheers
Thanks! I see it erase it from the public library but I still have it on my reader.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #44
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Thanks! I see it erase it from the public library but I still have it on my reader.
Don't think that you can still open it from your reader once your return it. However, we have had some books on our ereaders not expire until we actually hooked back up to the computer or Whispernet, so maybe it will remain live on your reader until you connect to ADE again.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #45
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I haven't tried returning an Adobe book early, but there would be no way for your reader to know that you returned the book early until you connect the reader to your computer and access your it through the Adobe Digital Edition software. I assume that it would stay on your reader and you would be able to access the book until it expires.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote