Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Format question

I currently read on my iPod touch. I just checked out "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" from the library. I downloaded it into the Overdrive app. It is full justified with huge margins. Very annoying to read. So i downloaded to ADE and copied to the Bluefire app. Margins better but still full justification. Still slightly annoying.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded a sample of the book from Barnes & Noble, Amazon and iBooks. The nook and kindle versions are still full justified, but the iBooks version is left justified and very nice.

Is this a function of the file or the app? Is there any way to change it without stripping DRM (which I don't want to do to a library book)?

Thanks
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It could be the file, or the app. No way to tell without stripping the DRM and looking at the HTML. Unless other books in the same app(s) have different margins.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know whether it can be done without removing the DRM but I can tell you that this issue is fixable if the file is epub. But you need to go into the css file and simply change the code. It must have something like "margin-left 2em, margin-right 2em (or 2px)" where 2 is a supposed value.
Then you bring that value to something inferior, down to 0 which would mean no margin which is how I like it.
As for the justify value, you need to change the "text-align justify" to text-align left. But you must be certain to find the right line of code lest you could mess other parts of the book, usually the right line falls under the tag "body" but not always. As for other formats (mobi, pdf and so on), I have no idea how the codes work)

Now as a personal opinion, I don't understand why you want to remove the full justify. Without it, the text will end unequally on the right of each line, just like this post I'm writing does. That is not nice IMO. Paper books have text fully justified and that's how I like my ebooks. But to each their own.

Last edited by Quexos; 11-30-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What does that even mean?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You think that one's good? Read the one in the The New Dead Horse Thread.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You think that one's good? Read the one in the The New Dead Horse Thread.

I'm guessing a spammer who's got links in their signature, and is hoping the links will magically appear after a certain amount of posts/time (does anybody fall for that anymore?).

They've obviously got software that tries to guess the gist of a thread from keywords. In this case "touch" screens/phones. In the other thread... animals (dead horses).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I currently read on my iPod touch. I just checked out "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" from the library. I downloaded it into the Overdrive app. It is full justified with huge margins. Very annoying to read. So i downloaded to ADE and copied to the Bluefire app. Margins better but still full justification. Still slightly annoying.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded a sample of the book from Barnes & Noble, Amazon and iBooks. The nook and kindle versions are still full justified, but the iBooks version is left justified and very nice.

Is this a function of the file or the app? Is there any way to change it without stripping DRM (which I don't want to do to a library book)?

Thanks
What format is it in? Overdrive supports ePub, Kindle's azw, and PDF. ADE handles ePub and PDF. If you have the PDF, then, you're kinda stuck. Many PDFs cannot "reflow" so you're stuck with what you are annoyed by.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And what does that have to do with the issue at hand ?
Sounds to me like some kind of a software made translation.
Enough said

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
The file is epub. When I bring it up in ADE, it is fully justified but it looks OK because of the bigger screen. I had forgotten that paper books are justified. It's been so long since I read one. I think the combination of large margins and justification on a small screen is what is so annoying. There are really large gaps in the lines of text. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think I will just read it in Bluefire. I really don't care to get in the file and mess with it. If it was a book that I purchased and may read again in the future, I would consider making changes to the file.

I really need to get a larger screen. I think I will put a Nook Tablet on my Christmas list. Thanks again for all the information.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
in the iOS options app, there is an option for iBooks to use full or left justification and to also use hyphens or not. Try hyphenation on and justification on and see how it look. If you don't like it, you can always turn justification off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Now as a personal opinion, I don't understand why you want to remove the full justify. Without it, the text will end unequally on the right of each line, just like this post I'm writing does. That is not nice IMO. Paper books have text fully justified and that's how I like my ebooks. But to each their own.
If you've got 10-15 words/line, justification is nice. 7-10, it's okay, if the text doesn't alternate between large and small words so that you have large gaps on the screen. If you're reading at a large enough size that you get 3-5 words per line, justification is atrocious.

And some people just don't like it. It works very well to define the sections in columned text like newspapers and textbooks, but for books, it's a trade-off between "neat margins the eye can follow easily" and "potential large spaces in the middles of lines." Especially with ereaders' inability to stretch out letters inside words and limited support for hyphenation, justification often looks ugly on a 5" screen.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote