Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #811
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
Yep - I found the setting - Thanks. I knew there had to be a way. Just replaced my HD so no settings saved on anything so taking time to put things back the way they were.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #812
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Dang -- it's been a while since I set it up. Forgot there is a setting.

I usually transfer my settings across.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #813
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

I had to replace my HD but had Calibre library on back-up. When I reinstalled Calibre it saved most of the settings but I had reinstall the plug ins. I must have had it set to "only selected books" before but default must be whole library as that is what it was doing. Lot of stuff you take for granted until disaster strikes. Even with a back-up no walk in the park to reinstall your OS, all the updates, applications. Also your back up sometimes puts things in the wrong place so stuff has to be moved around. I am on day 3 of this debacle.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #814
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to hear it. I make sure to backup the settings together with my library.

Aside -- it helps to transfer settings when you keep it version controlled with setup scripts a la etckeeper and others. But I do use linux, so chances are I am more obsessed about this than most people.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #815
seacity1
Zealot

I think your setting are automatically saved in the .mdb file in Calibre Library. That does not include any 3rd party plug-ins as those are wiped out. Have to be careful about using a recent back-up from a corrupted HD. If the file is sitting in a bad sector you are just copying back garbage. I did lose a lot of pictures and about 40 videos. Ironically most of there were computer related "how to" videos I DL from youtube.
Advert
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #816
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Certain settings are stored in the database, but others are saved in .json files in the appdata/plugins folder. QC, which operates the same on any library, uses the latter.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #817
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I think your setting are automatically saved in the .mdb file in Calibre Library. That does not include any 3rd party plug-ins as those are wiped out. Have to be careful about using a recent back-up from a corrupted HD. If the file is sitting in a bad sector you are just copying back garbage. I did lose a lot of pictures and about 40 videos. Ironically most of there were computer related "how to" videos I DL from youtube.
Calibre does NOT use Access. MDB is Access

Calibres DB, metadata.db contains Specfic Library settings Only

The Preferences section contains the systems per User (even if only one) Settings which should persist over any Library used.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #818
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
First, thank you for Quality Check Plugin!

When I apply "Fix ASIN for KindleFire" to an AZW3 then transfer it directly to my Kindle using USB (not via Calibre or Send-to-Kindle), my Kindle will download a cover from Amazon's servers

However, this does not work when I do the same with a dual-MOBI When I apply "Fix ASIN for KindleFire" to a dual-MOBI then transfer it directly to my Kindle, it will open as an AZW3 rather than MOBI, but I get a generic cover.

Is this just the way it is with MOBIs, or am I missing something? Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #819
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I suspect it may be for the same reason that calibre cannot modify any other metadata in the KF8 portion of a dual-MOBI.

i.e. As far as the Kindle Voyage knows (since it only looks at the KF8 section), the ebook in question does not have an ASIN.

(If it doesn't show as one of those nasty "Personal" documents, that would be because I assume you also have the output preferences set correctly.)

tl;dr
dual-MOBI is evil unless you actually have a need for it.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #820
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
... dual-MOBI is evil unless you actually have a need for it.
WhisperSync! <sigh>
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 AM   #821
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

... and if you are using WhisperSync, you are already resigned to not having covers, aren't you?

Because you cannot make them give you one, no matter what -- if you go through WhisperSync.
But there is no point limiting yourself to dual-MOBI when sideloading.
Which was my point -- you don't have some other compelling need for it in this example, therefore it defaults to

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:45 AM   #822
odamizu
just an egg

I think we are in agreement here, eschwartz.

You said, "dual-MOBI is evil unless you actually have a need for it" and alas, I do have need for it -- WhisperSync -- thus the <sigh>
Old 12-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #823
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I think there is a bug in the way the plugin handles long search strings in the Search ePubs dialog. If the search string is very long the dialog box expand to suit the length of the string, this can be wider than the screen width. When wider than the screen width it doesn't let you resize the dialog box if I use the righthand handle and the dialog disappears if I try to grab the left hand handle - usually requiring a Calibre restart to recover.

As a temporary fix I manually edited gui.json to delete the long string and restarted Calibre. The dialog shrunk and I could then resize it using the righthand handles.

Using the latest plugin in Calibre 2.42 on Windows 8.1 64bit.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #824
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyhands View Post
I think there is a bug in the way the plugin handles long search strings in the Search ePubs dialog. If the search string is very long the dialog box expand to suit the length of the string, this can be wider than the screen width. When wider than the screen width it doesn't let you resize the dialog box if I use the righthand handle and the dialog disappears if I try to grab the left hand handle - usually requiring a Calibre restart to recover.

As a temporary fix I manually edited gui.json to delete the long string and restarted Calibre. The dialog shrunk and I could then resize it using the righthand handles.

Using the latest plugin in Calibre 2.42 on Windows 8.1 64bit.
Lots of dialogs expand to fit the string shown.
Personally, I hate things that keep changing size, moving the edge around (right aligned things keep moving the left edge)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #825
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Powerful Plugin -- Crib Sheet Available?

I experimented with this plugin a little but it seems like you have to become an expert in ebook formats to understand how to use it effectively. I read through the first 100 replies or so but I didn't encounter much "check for <this> and then correct with <that>" instruction.

Would be really helpful if somebody had a little crib sheet of checks with corrections with a brief explanation. Even a "top 10" would be helpful.

Any takers?
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote