Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
1. You can use it to start a campfire with. Just toss it on some kindling on a bright day.
2. You could use it as a very elegant indoor sled on a polished wooden floor - if you were very tiny.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For the record, I'm not saying it's a bad device (though I think the non-replaceable battery thing is just nuts, myself).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
2. You could use it as a very elegant indoor sled on a polished wooden floor - if you were very tiny.
and apparently it is quite the cat entertainment device
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
1. You can use it to start a campfire with. Just toss it on some kindles on a bright day.
will the rivalry make them spontaneously combust?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
People complained about Microsoft that they "forced" you to use their browser. Or their media player. Ignoring the fact that you can install (and always could install) your own browser and media player. Without hacking.

People praise Apple that they allow you to use only the products they think you should use. And if you want to use something else? I hope you have some hacking skills ready...

I will never buy an Apple product. And I hope, really hope, that the FTC is as strict as our Neelie Kroes...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #21
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just can't get beyond this;
Personally I find the iPad a tad uncomfortable - doesn't seem that my jeans fit over it
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Gosh, I went and bought an iPad, because I loved my iPod touch... and then found it to be a great reading, gaming, and video device.

Had I known I was only buying to be part of the "in crowd" I wouldn't have gone within ten miles of that damned Apple store!

Shame on me and my apparent need to be seen as "trendy and hip". if only someone had explained it to me earlier.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #23
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
How many e-book apps are being readied for Windows-based smartphones and PDAs, for instance?
Well even without the iPad, future support for Windows Mobile devices is looking rather grim. All because Microsoft has decided to replace it with "Windows Phone 7".
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I hope, really hope, that the FTC is as strict as our Neelie Kroes...
Is that a euphemism for something? Cuz, I am feeling all "Neelie Kroes" tonight!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Personally I find the iPad a tad uncomfortable - doesn't seem that my jeans fit over it
and it binds so!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
3. Make Steve Jobs look like pshrynk with it.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #27
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Think about all those e-books you're buying, that won't be making the transition off of the iPad to your new device.
@Steve I think you'll find most of the iPad owners agree with you about the problem with the iBooks DRM. I personally have no intention of buying books from iBooks until either

(i) iBooks removes DRM (probably years away)
or
(ii) Someone cracks fairplay for ebooks

Then I know my books will go with me no matter what device I move to. Being locked into a DRM is a very real concern that most iPad owners do account for in their purchasing habits. Most of us don't purchase from iBooks, but instead use the B&N reader, Kindle, or any of the non-DRM readers. We feel far less locked-in in many case than folks who prefer dedicated readers which only support one DRM format.

Lock-in isn't just a problem for the iPad. Typically, it's far less of a problem on the iPad because almost all of the other DRMs can be read on the it. Kobo is planning on introducing adept DRM support to their app soon, and B&N is releasing an app for the iPad specifically. Then the complement will be complete.

Quote:
Creating proprietary apps for one device is leaving a lot of other devices unsupported.
Not really. There are ePub readers for most platforms available. Less true for DRM-specific apps, but they exist too. In general, you'll find that the more likely a device is to having an operating system that is used on multiple devices (Android for instance), the more likely it is that developers will be porting their eBooks apps to it. Most developers want to minimize their effort/audience ratio, and won't write for platforms that only encompass one device. If you really want your device to be supported, purchase a device with an OS that is on many other devices and is very open. (Or buy an Apple device. Either way.) Android seems like a safe bet right now.

Quote:
Think about how you'll feel when all the apps you loaded into your iPad can't be ported into your new device, or at least, not without paying for it all over again.
The apple devices don't require re-purchase to use on a different device. Purchasing once on your account is sufficient.

And all of the eBook readers I've got which are DRM-specific are free, so there's no reason to "pay again" for them.

Now if we're talking about apps that aren't book readers, sure. If I buy Scrabble for my iPad and later the Android platform is the "shizzle" for EA/Hasbro, I'll have to buy it again. But that's the risk you take with any device. It's not unique to the iPad.

On a more sympathetic point....

I bought a Brew phone a few years ago from Verizon that was very expensive and very impressive. Unfortunately, the platform was closed and expensive to start development on, so there were essentially NO apps for it worth purchasing. Once I realized this, I decided my next purchase would be a phone that I knew had good development support.

Quote:
How many e-book apps are being readied for Windows-based smartphones and PDAs, for instance?
They are coming. The idea that a smart-phone could support apps and be a good platform for apps is really not that old. The iPhone/iPad are just the vanguard of this movement.

So if you want support for App X on your device? Join a bandwagon. Doesn't have to be the Apple one. Could be the Android one. But don't expect a device that doesn't have a well-supported app store and a lot of customers already to get an app.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #28
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
So Steve, do you object, or otherwise prevent, your readers from reading your books on a iPad/iPod ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Steve, most people are happy to be fleeced, as long as they are in the "in" crowd. That's the one truism that Mr. Jobs has completely grasped. Make things easy, simple and cool, and you can overcharge with impunity..

A harsh view of humanity, I'll grant you, but consistent with my observations over the years....

We are "one" with that!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Makes a great frisbee substitute!

(particularly since you can't read it in the sun)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon, ipad, proprietary