Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Salis009
Salis009 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Exclamation Kobo Instability - eReader Storage Error

Hi Folks:

I recently purchased a Kobo reader in early August and I don’t have much choice but, to return it to the store.

The Kobo reader is a nice eReader when it is working but, my experience has shown me that this device is still unstable.

I bought the Kobo reader with the intention of loading on my research project, to facilitate better organization of my books and to provide additional convenience for reading.

For my research project, I relied on the “highlighting” features to identify specific book excerpts for later study and summary. So here’s what happens: You read a book and highlight certain points but, before I can get through the book, Kobo comes up with an “eReader Storage Error”
and prompts me to do a “factory reset”.

Well, guess what happens when you perform a “factory reset”? The reset can take up to 20 minutes, Next, you have to reload all your books. This too, is a lengthy exercise that varies depending on the Number of books one has to reload. Worst of all is, you lose all of your highlights – the “reset”
wipes them out completely and you’re back to square one.

Even the “highlight feature” itself does not work correctly. If you want to highlight a line at the bottom of the page and continue on to the top of the following page, you would have to do a separate highlight for each page. The highlight feature is not smart enough to know that when it gets
to the bottom line of a page, it should actually know to flip the page and continue highlighting the top line of the following page.

I don’t know how much the reader is doing in the background but, often times, it seems unresponsive to the “touch” on word look-up.

All in all, I think that the Kobo reader will be a good reader, once they iron out the bugs but, right now this reader is not stable enough to rely on due to consistent “eReader Storage Errors”.

Kobo eReader Owner.
Salis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis009 View Post
Even the “highlight feature” itself does not work correctly. If you want to highlight a line at the bottom of the page and continue on to the top of the following page, you would have to do a separate highlight for each page. The highlight feature is not smart enough to know that when it gets
to the bottom line of a page, it should actually know to flip the page and continue highlighting the top line of the following page....
I don't know of any eReaders that are able to highlight across pages.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I don't know of any eReaders that are able to highlight across pages.
I don't think I've ever seen it either...one thing that they could try is to reduce the font size to get as much as you can on one page, then highlight, and then return to the proper font...a bit convoluted, but an idea...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Salis009
Salis009 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Alright...Highlighting does not work across pages but, the Kobo reader was giving an "Ereader Storage Error" after entering several highlights.

Now, the folks at Kobo did address this problem and they have since responded with and updated firmware version (1.9.10). So far, so good.
Salis009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader storage error