Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #61
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
User guide - About standard PNG images
1. - Image properties
Now, in Book view, when double clicking, we can access to the "Properties" of images and modify them. However, I noticed that these fields (width, height, etc.) were not even filled up in your Guide (see screenshots). Could you comment this?

2. - The standard images in your guide are all centered. What would have been your recommended code for a floating one?
The image properties for images are not filled in because nothing was set for them in the HTML code. I use the images at the sizes I created so there's no reason for any changes.

You'd have to ask in the EPUB forum about the best way to do floating images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokavan View Post
Thanks for all the work on Sigil!

A few things I've noticed in the Beta (on Mac OS 10.6.8)

- Is it no longer possible to apply pure html bold/italic tags in Book View? For example, previously if you used the GUI or CMD-B shortcut Sigil would use < b >, but now it relies on spans and in-line CSS.

- Relatedly, the bold / italic gui buttons don't highlight when inside bold/italic content (whether it's been created with html b/i tags or spans and in-line css).

- Is it no longer possible toggle Tidy on and off?
span tags are used for B, I, U, etc. to keep them uniform (since there is no U tag). You can change them if needed in Code View using Find&Replace.

If your HTML code uses <b></b> for bold, then when you select the text in Book View the B button won't highlight because the <b></b> doesn't match the <span> tag that's defined for the B button. If you change text to bold using the B button, the button is correctly highlighted.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #62
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
a tags

First thank you for all work on Sigil. I am pretty attached to it :-)

Second, I noticed that now when clicking on a link within the text in book or preview view (ie. footnote) is sending me to the beginning of the file where the target is not to the target itself. When editing I really need to check if I set all anchors correctly and it would be nice to be ironed in 0.6 version.

Last edited by The CB; 06-13-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #63
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5.901 on XP SP3 (john's special build)

I just found a solid, repeatable, horrid bug.
I was unwrapping paragraphs: with a very simple:
Code:
(?sm)([a-z])</p>\s+<p class="calibre4">([a-z])
and a replace \1 \2
Single stepping (Replace) it worked as expected.
Replace All (current page) and it (frequently) dropped characters in other positions
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #64
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Stuff

I finally got around to installing 6.0 and am impressed. I haven't found any faults that have not been found by others. However I have a couple of comments.

I noticed that the "Format" pull-down menu has been removed in favor of buttons. It would be nice to have an option to display buttons or the pull-down menu. This would free up a lot of space and make it easier to find the desired task (you have to hover the mouse to get a button description). Interesting that the buttons zoom with the text.

Still on my wish list:

I have read about the problems with sincing between code and book views but was wondering if you could get close by keeping a paragraph count?

I know this is getting to be old hat but it would be a big help if the font in the F&R window could be increased and perhaps bolded. A font change might be helpful, perhaps Roboto Medium (public domain). Not being able to easily read the F&R data is a large cause of my errors and a major time consumer. This mignt not help a lot of peiple but I don't think it would harm any.

Regards - John
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #65
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
5.901 on XP SP3 (john's special build)

I just found a solid, repeatable, horrid bug.
I was unwrapping paragraphs: with a very simple:
Code:
(?sm)([a-z])</p>\s+<p class="calibre4">([a-z])
and a replace \1 \2
Single stepping (Replace) it worked as expected.
Replace All (current page) and it (frequently) dropped characters in other positions
This is a known issue in the current page search - its been fixed for the next beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I noticed that the "Format" pull-down menu has been removed in favor of buttons. It would be nice to have an option to display buttons or the pull-down menu. This would free up a lot of space and make it easier to find the desired task (you have to hover the mouse to get a button description). Interesting that the buttons zoom with the text.
The CKEditor used by Book View is customizable if you feel the need to dig into it. We tried to keep the default simple.
Quote:

I have read about the problems with sincing between code and book views but was wondering if you could get close by keeping a paragraph count?
There are all sorts of tricks - but the approach is to save/restore the position of your cursor as you switch views (as best as possible given you can delete things) but not to sync.
Quote:

I know this is getting to be old hat but it would be a big help if the font in the F&R window could be increased and perhaps bolded. A font change might be helpful, perhaps Roboto Medium (public domain). Not being able to easily read the F&R data is a large cause of my errors and a major time consumer. This mignt not help a lot of peiple but I don't think it would harm any.
Haven't heard that one before.
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #66
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I finally got around to installing 6.0 and am impressed. I haven't found any faults that have not been found by others. However I have a couple of comments.

Regards - John
I would second this. Personally I prefer all buttons and other quick access to also be on the menu system somewhere. Buttons use can be customized as needed but should not be replacements for menu items. The most user friendly system of all is the menu system. I use it to find features I didn't know about and as documentation for all the features of the program.

Dale
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #67
meme
Sigil developer

Just to elaborate on this, the Format menu on the old version only applied to Book View. Since all Book View entries are now within the Book View frame, they don't make sense on the main menu.

It is possible to put a dropdown menu on the BV toolbar - in fact the headings are there. There was a format menu for styles in the default CKEditor setup, but it included some odd choices. Its possible to consider putting back a smaller one, but for the most part the buttons cover it.

You can add the format dropdown back in, including exactly what you want (and you can even customize the buttons to insert the exact HTML code you want) in CKEditor. The User Guide section on BV contains a brief intro - but you'll have to dig into it a bit more to make it do what you want. I may revisit it again to give a better example, but I just wanted to make sure there was at least a hint of how to start. Unfortunately I never did get it to read in the CSS styles like its supposed to be able to so if anyone does, let me know.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Split leaves original

Win XP SP3 Beta 901

I take a section that has 3 images.
I open a line between , then Sigil Split
The original file has 1 Image, the New file TAB has the remains.
Split between the remaining image, and the new file has 1 Image.

SAVE

RELOAD
The third file now has the Original configuration

(this is not the first time I have seen this effect)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is it just me, or did 0.5.901 just silently replace all of my em-dash characters with its html-entity equivalent?

EDIT: Yes... yes, it surely did.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #70
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Could do with a new beta to play with :V
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #71
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is it just me, or did 0.5.901 just silently replace all of my em-dash characters with its html-entity equivalent?

EDIT: Yes... yes, it surely did.
IMHO it is good the Mdash show as an Entity.
(My personal preference
is to (replace) use an Entity for all the common places like: . . . )
It is bad that it does this silently (at least with out an option to 'Don't warn on this again' )
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO it is good the Mdash show as an Entity.
(My personal preference
is to (replace) use an Entity for all the common places like: . . . )
It is bad that it does this silently (at least with out an option to 'Don't warn on this again' )
I always prefer the actual characters over entities, myself. In fact, my stash of unicode-aware regexps sort of depends on non-entity code. I could get used to it, I suppose, but I'd never be crazy about it. If that's going to be a "feature" will there be a list of the characters this is going to affect available? Or better yet, a build-option to get around it (please, please, please)?

Is there a programmatic reasoning behind the swap?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #73
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would also prefer the entities to the characters in code view. It would also make it easier to clean up those pesky hyphenation (soft hyphen) character that always turn up as a question mark on the readers.

Last edited by Toxaris; 06-17-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The reason I like entities is I can see the difference between a minus (-) and a Ndash (&ndash;),
There are other visually confusing characters (some are affected by font and stroke):
O vs 0
l vs 1 vs | vs / vs I

Last edited by Jellby; 06-17-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: removed smiley
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It's my preference that whatever is between the > and the </ be considered pretty much mine. Sigil can make decisions concerning everything else and I'll get over/around it, but I want to be the final decider on the content between the tags.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Closed Thread