Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
To read 100 books

How are you all going on your mission to read 100 books in 2011? Since it is now April and second quarter you should have read approximatly 29 books to be on track. I am laging that point but not by much but still will most likely not hit the mark by new years. I will probably hit 75 books by the end of the year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Ah, with the Easter holidays coming up, and summer vacations, of course, I don't think too much of the going rate. I suppose we'll know on Dec 31.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm ahead of the pace, but that's due to the abysmal winter we had when I was in hunker-down mode. Now that the weather's on the upswing I'll be out and about much more in my free time. So I expect to hit the hundred mark, but I can't extrapolate out from the current figure to 150, more or less.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm at 40 books. My problem isn't reading the book - it's making sure I keep up with my post in the forum that lists them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I'm reading about half fiction and half non fiction, I know there's no satisfactory definition of the two but oh well. My point is that the "non fiction" is usually more dense than the fiction and takes longer to read, for instance this book,

Origin of Copyright

Is packed full of copyright case law starting back when copyright didn't exist, Should I count it as two books? Or perhaps even three??

Note to mods: That link should be in accordance with copyright law but who can ever be sure??

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm at 21, if you count audiobooks (I am in the car over 2 hrs each day) and 2 graphic novels (Locke&Key 1 and Fables 14). I am not concerned about making it to 100, because I can count audiobooks and the Kobo I got myself for my birthday has inspired me.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm at 21 also, including 1 audiobook. But even at that slower rate, my average will probably drop even lower with summer and travelling and being too busy to read.

You guys are doing great!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I'm way behind, but that is due to moving and school. Not had much time to read this year so far. This summer I should be able to read a lot.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I'm reading about half fiction and half non fiction, I know there's no satisfactory definition of the two but oh well. My point is that the "non fiction" is usually more dense than the fiction and takes longer to read,

Eh, a book's a book. JMHO. If you start attaching arbitrary numbers it gets silly. Even going with word count wouldn't level the playing field. Maybe letter count?

I think the point is to pick an appropriate target given one's reading habits; one that serves as an incentive--not a walk in the park nor an impossibility. Among my reads are the first two Fire and Ice titles but each one is just a book. I like non-fiction but I like mysteries, too.

Just... read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I thought this would be a difficult challenge, but I'm at 67. I suppose the type of book you choose affects the challenge greatly.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I'm reading about half fiction and half non fiction, I know there's no satisfactory definition of the two but oh well. My point is that the "non fiction" is usually more dense than the fiction and takes longer to read, for instance this book,

Origin of Copyright

Is packed full of copyright case law starting back when copyright didn't exist, Should I count it as two books? Or perhaps even three??

Note to mods: That link should be in accordance with copyright law but who can ever be sure??

It's a personal challenge and as far as I know you won't even get a sticker or a ribbon at the end. So make your own rules and then follow them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Glad to see that a few of us are moving along towards that goal of one hundred novels. I am certainly lagging behind due to the fact that I don't feel like over paying for the books themselves, $10 or more, still preferr paying less rather than more for books. Thanks to my office provided Blackberry Storm, I have not managed to damage and/or loose the reader yet, trust me this is no small feat for me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm on my 22nd book at the moment. I lowered my goal on Goodreads to 50, but I'll raise it as needed as I go along. I tend to read in binges rather than at a consistent pace, and the "motivational" messages on the Goodreads challenge box can be annoying (it tells you if you're behind, on track or ahead and by how much).

Now that it's "sitting outside in the sun" season here, I've really been enjoying reading in the backyard, and that's increasing my pace a bit.

So, to sum up, technically I'm a little behind but I'm pretty sure I'll hit 100 by the end of the year. If not, no biggie, I'll still have gotten more reading done than I have in years and that has its own value.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 04-13-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Edited to remove rogue apostrophe
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
100 books does not equal 100 books. I could read 100 books today if I grabbed some off the bottom shelf in my children's room (the shelf that they migrate to when they're outgrown -- baby books). I read one non-fiction book that was so dense that it took me a month to get through the 293 pages (plus it was a paperback, and I was struggling with having to hold it open and turn the pages :-) ) and then breezed through a young-adult fiction book with 384 pages that my daughter has been pressuring me to read in less than 4 days...

For the first time ever I've been keeping a log. I honestly don't care if I hit 100, but it is interesting to see how many pages I've read... I've been keeping track of the number of pages as reported by Amazon for the trade paperback version and since I got my Kindle in November I've read about 4500 trade-paperback page equivalents.

Counting audiobooks (I drive about 4 hours every weekend) I've read 13 books [about half read and half listened to] and have three in progress... yeah, I'm behind, but given my schedule I'm shocked that I've read as much as I have.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-13-2011 at 12:42 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I was at halfway through for new full-length reads alone (excluding re-reads and graphic novels and short stories from the official count seemed the done thing), but my rate took a severe hit this month with finals and an essay due.

I think I've finished maybe two books that weren't related to coursework (which of course I don't count) and don't anticipate this situation changing for the next week, at least.

But even if people don't make their 100 goal, at least they're trying to expand their reading horizons. Which kind of makes up for that depressing stat in the News forum about how 42% of college graduates never bother reading another book after college.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote