Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #991
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Exclamation I'm Looking for Kobo Specific

Hi, Bob:

I know very well that I'm not looking in the right place - however, no where in your referenced link did I find the word "Kobo" - that's what I'm looking for.

Each of the software teams that develop their e-readers pick a subset of the specs that they choose to implement on their respective readers. They are not identical to each other nor to the spec.

I was looking for that specific subset that Kobo 'obeyed'.

Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It would seem you are looking in the wrong place. I found this in a few seconds. Follow that thread and compare it to the referenced CSS spec, and you'll have a firm place to start.
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #992
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is no such documentation.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #993
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And if your talking epub, then it is probably the Adobe RMSDK that is doing it. There might be a list for that or ADE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #994
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Hi, Davidfor:

I am talking ePub but where would I have 'run into it'? I create my ePub with Sigil, then load it into Calibre, and use that to download it into my Kobo!

Cheers,

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #995
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any epub ereader that can handle the Adobe DRM is based on the Adobe RMSDK. This is what is decoding the book and doing a lot of the rendering. The rules for what can be handled largely come from this. Kobo can set some options when building their code, but, they probably don't. If you find a list of things what RMSDK allows, you can safely assume the Kobo firmware allows it as well.

And I mentioned ADE as it is the PC implementation of the same code. While it isn't exactly the same, it is probably the PC epub reader that is closest to what is on the e-ink readers.
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #996
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Each of the software teams that develop their e-readers pick a subset of the specs that they choose to implement on their respective readers. They are not identical to each other nor to the spec.

I was looking for that specific subset that Kobo 'obeyed'.
That's quite a hard thing to document, because you might also need to look at how the CSS properties all combine.

For an example, see how much detail is in the Quirksmode site!

I guess most books generally just need to render basic styled text and mostly that all just works fine and there's no need to document that.

But there are additional odd things like epub 3 footnotes that are apparently supported by Kobo's access reader and it would be nice to collect together those sorts of things somewhere. Create a page in the wiki here and start!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #997
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
Something I would like to request (searched the thread, found nothing in the like):

Integration with calibre's wifi connection feature (most prominently featured in Calibre Companion), it's one of the few things I miss when prodding eBooks onto my Glo.

The WiFi on my Glo is pretty much inactive unless I sync/update, something like this would actually be really nifty ;F
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #998
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

If you run the calibre server, you can use the browser on the device to connect and download books. Not as good as Calibre Companion, but it works.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #999
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My biggest complaint is when looking through Kobo Reader library using slider library page number is off topic and useless. While Author name when library is sorted by Author or Title when sorted by title really is needed to indicate when to stop slider at best point. Thankfully search for author or title is better than Kobo library slider.

If kobo could search for books in library using Calibre tags that would be fantastic almost auto shelves / collections and should be easy search.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #1000
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
wishes:
More than just one level collection or better: file explorer like book selection.
And a go to page # option.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #1001
Loamaro
Loamaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello!
Does anyone know: will there ever be a Russian interface? Even localized version of the official site (ru.kobo.com) and it does not work
Loamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #1002
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Web browser enhancement: Allow the user to sign in to web pages that demand an ID and password but do not use a web form to request them. (Instead, such pages typically reside in protected directories, and most browsers pop up a special sort of ID/PW box.)

Wi-fi enhancement: Allow the user to connect to wi-fi LANs that are not connected to the Internet.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #1003
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Web browser enhancement: Allow the user to sign in to web pages that demand an ID and password but do not use a web form to request them. (Instead, such pages typically reside in protected directories, and most browsers pop up a special sort of ID/PW box.)
My workaround, which I don't like is to put the userid and password in the URL. Such as:

Code:
http://userid:password@127.0.0.1:80
Quote:
Wi-fi enhancement: Allow the user to connect to wi-fi LANs that are not connected to the Internet.
Yes, that would be good.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #1004
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Couldn't the attaching to non Internet WiFi's be faked out by an entry in the local hosts file? (I can't remember but wasn't it checking on a dns entry for an apple web site?)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #1005
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

As it is expecting a response from the site, you would need a server capable of responding correctly.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo