Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Can you recommend...

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a good dictionary and a thesaurus that I can use with the Sony 505? I tried downloading one from some site but I couldn't access individual letters unless I made bookmarks for each one! I know there must be a better way. Thanks.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
There really isn't a good one, since there is no search function on the 505. I use a mini dictionary next to my nightstand and write down words, like I've been doing for years...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yeah, with no search function a dictionary or thesaurus is fairly useless. I'd reccomend a pocket or student dictionary or write it down and check later like lilac_jive suggested.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I use the Webster's 1913 Dictionary that nrapallo created. The table of contents is the alphabet. Select a letter and it takes you to that section of the dictionary. Take a look at the pictures at the thread I've linked above. You'll see how the hyperlinks work.

I'm currently reading a bunch of books written 1890-1930, so the words in the dictionary are appropriate for the time period. I keep the dictionary's TOC bookmarked and a second bookmark to letter "O" to save some clicks.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I use the Webster's 1913 Dictionary that nrapallo created. The table of contents is the alphabet. Select a letter and it takes you to that section of the dictionary. Take a look at the pictures at the thread I've linked above. You'll see how the hyperlinks work.

I'm currently reading a bunch of books written 1890-1930, so the words in the dictionary are appropriate for the time period. I keep the dictionary's TOC bookmarked and a second bookmark to letter "O" to save some clicks.

Dreamer
Thanks for the link! I'm downloading it now. Should do just what I need.

Stitchawl
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Heaven's just a click away....

Nick Rapallo's linked Webster's 1913 Dictionary is exactly what I was looking for!

Searchable... I can click on a letter and jump directly to it, a page or two of searching and I'm at the word I need. Fantastic!

Best still is that Nick reports that he is in the process of improving this word treasure. I wonder if anyone has done something similar with a thesaurus?

Nick, a great big thank you to you for all your efforts!

Stitchawl
Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Heaven's just a click away....

Nick Rapallo's linked Webster's 1913 Dictionary is exactly what I was looking for!

Searchable... I can click on a letter and jump directly to it, a page or two of searching and I'm at the word I need. Fantastic!

Best still is that Nick reports that he is in the process of improving this word treasure. I wonder if anyone has done something similar with a thesaurus?

Nick, a great big thank you to you for all your efforts!

Stitchawl
I think I need to check this out...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I think I will too...that is one thing (probably the only thing) that I liked about the Kindle as opposed to the Sony.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath

It's not the OED, but then, I have no need for the OED!
This dictionary does what "I" need a dictionary to do, quickly and easily. Not quite as fast as a paper dictionary, but a lot lighter...

Stitchawl