Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
rjwilmsi
rjwilmsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Any performance difference using faster microsd card?

Hi. I have a Kobo Glo with firmware 3.1.1 using the standard 2 GB microsd card it came with, and no secondary microsd card. I'm generally pretty happy with the device, like the battery life and great screen for reading. Main niggle for me is inconsistent performance of device and some lost taps (next page or in word scramble game). Clearly the performance is limited by the CPU on this low power device, and dependent on the firmware from Kobo. However, I was wondering whether I might be able to make a quick win by replacing the microsd card: I believe that the internal microsd card is a Sandisk standard one, which will have pretty low performance I imagine. Whereas for a low cost I could replace it with a faster one such as the Sandisk Ultra.

Has anybody tried a faster microsd card to replace the original card and tested the difference, if any?

Thanks in advance
rjwilmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilmsi View Post
Has anybody tried a faster microsd card to replace the original card and tested the difference, if any?

Thanks in advance
I found no noticeable increase and often a decrease when trying a higher class uSD card in a Touch and a Glo. What seemed to make a greater difference was the card's small block read/write speeds. Unfortunately, the Sandisk cards in the Touch and Glo were among the better units that I tested so most of the other cards I tested actually reduced performance. I ended up with a Sandisk 32GB Class 4 card in my Glo since it tested with the best small block I/O speeds for my collection of uSD cards.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203090

I originally got into this from a discussion about Nook and CM7 where the results were all over the map and people started posting the results from CrystalDiskMark. See this link for more on the story: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-18-2014 at 06:35 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
enotar
Connoisseur
enotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo touch
I install a 16gb sandisk mobile ultra and format the extra part to the max.
Dont see much increase + when you hard reset you loose everything so I maybe comeback to 2gb +external 16gb.
enotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
I did a factory reset (many actually) on my ex 8gb Glo and did not loose partitioning. I obtained a factory 8gb Glo. Using al ULTRA 8gb card i did noticed a little performance increase when connected to Calibre.
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, microsd, performance