Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Ericthegreat
Ericthegreat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the Kindle 3 a good choice for manga?

Is the kindle 3 the best choice for manga? I would like to read right to left, have good quality, and be at a good price?
Ericthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
I hope so. My Kindle will arrive tuesday and I sure hope manga's work well.
But basically manga's are a bunch of jpegs(?)

Here are 2 video's from youtube on wich I base my purchase of my Kindle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZGPl9YvIKQ
(and this one showing Highschool of the Dead, my favourite anime last season)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vTV6O97NM

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-17-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Albright
Albright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[edit: I was making a point which turned out to be false. Never mind.]

Last edited by Albright; 10-17-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I dont' read Manga but there is some software called "Mangle" that makes Manga usable on the Kindle. There is another program called "Canti" that you can read about here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It's bad.
DX works, but not ideal for comics. Somtimes text is too small to read easily.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Ericthegreat

Is 16 colors of gray capable of differentiating the diff colors of gray in manga?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthegreat View Post
Is 16 colors of gray capable of differentiating the diff colors of gray in manga?
Based on the 2 video's I have seen I would have to guess: yes.
I will bookmark this and come back on it tuesday after unpacking my Kindle (HOTD is awaiting).

edit:

Quote:
<..>I was annoyed with these issues and thus Mangle was born (the program name is a mix of "Manga" and "Kindle" in case you haven't figured it out yet; I thought it was pretty clever at the time). Fortunately you can get all the benefits of my work without really doing anything (and it won't even cost you anything since Mangle is free, GPL software). With Mangle you can easily:

Sort and organize images from different directories; bulk rename feature for output to the Kindle
Optionally re-save images in a format Kindle will be sure to understand with no visible quality loss
Downsample and rotate images for optimal viewing on Kindle, convert to grayscale to save space and improve contrast
Automatically generate book meta-data so that your manga is always properly detected and viewable in-order
Mangle is also cross platform, and doesn't require an install (it's a standalone executable that you can run from anywhere). It is also "environmentally friendly" by not messing with your registry or modifying your system in any way. If you ever want to uninstall it, just delete the executable and you're done.<..>

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
It's bad.
DX works, but not ideal for comics. Somtimes text is too small to read easily.
DX is perfect, never had any problems using Mangle. Which mangas were bad for you? I'm curious
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
On the k3 comics are far too small, you have to go to landscape mode, and still small.
On the DXG there are problems with some comics (not specifically manga but same boat)

The main issue comes from comics that have color/glossys or ones that use small/stylistic text. Also some that use two page spreads.

I'd point to the whole marvel noir series. The text is really small, the environments are rather dark, and the kindle does a pretty poor job grayscaling the dark color images. Makes for a pretty poor reading experience.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
On the k3 comics are far too small, you have to go to landscape mode, and still small.
On the DXG there are problems with some comics (not specifically manga but same boat)

The main issue comes from comics that have color/glossys or ones that use small/stylistic text. Also some that use two page spreads.

I'd point to the whole marvel noir series. The text is really small, the environments are rather dark, and the kindle does a pretty poor job grayscaling the dark color images. Makes for a pretty poor reading experience.
Yeah, i tried some Daredevil Noir and it doesn't look very good.

But my point regarding manga still stands - most of the manga is very different from that Marvel Noir stuff (not to mention it's B&W) and it is perfect on DX(G).

As for small Kindles - sure, i was never able to read manga on my Sony prs505 cause of screen size and 800x600 res.
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
Ericthegreat

But aren't most manga about that size, except for the shonen jump/magazine type?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:

Oh but manga has its own size: those pocket books are close to 6".
From what I have seen on the web manga should work.

I am going to report back tonight (it's 11:10 cet now) since my kindle arrived today O+
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Mangle[d] images LOOK great... But there is no way to navigate pages in Kindle 3 image viewer... Utterly frustrating.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
Mangle[d] images LOOK great... But there is no way to navigate pages in Kindle 3 image viewer... Utterly frustrating.
Not sure what you mean - navigation is just like turning ebook pages. You do need to have the image filenames reflect the desired sequence, and create subfolder under /pictures to hold them all. Mangle (and I assume Canti) does the appropriate file naming for you.

Another option is to wrap the image files in a PDF. Then you can use bookmarks, zoom, contrast adjustment on K3, see page numbers, etc. Full screen PDF display is slightly smaller (because of the reading progress area at the bottom and I think some built in margins), so ideally you would make images slightly smaller than 800x600 to avoid any rescaling distortion on a 6" screen. I am planning to figure out the exact image dimensions that will avoid any rescaling in full-page PDF viewing, but haven't gotten around to it yet. But even 800x600 images look pretty good when they're inside a PDF, the rescaling is minimal. Of course for DX you'll want to retain more resolution.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I use the iPad for my manga & comics. I'll have to try it on the kindle though.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote