Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe you!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #47
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
We're big fans of 7in tablets.
We have 3 now, all purchased within the past 12 months!

Each is better than the last; my current fave is the most recent addition, the Google Nexus 7.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
It seems like every other ad on TV currently is for electrical retailers to shift tablets. They're definitely the "in" gift this Christmas.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #49
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I love my iPad mini desperately. <insert necessary gripe about lack of retina.> Still, it's so lightweight and an awesome device. It makes me lazier than I used to be and does cut into reading time--I spend an hour or two hours on it each night browsing the interwebs. Ah well. It's so light and convenient.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #50
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Hehehe... after I posted that last night I did recall it being as slow as 300 at first. For my birthday at work, they pitched in and bought me a 1200 baud modem when they first were available. I thought it was blazing fast!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #51
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't remember my Atari model number. I got it in 1986, I think. It was nice! There was nothing wrong with it, when I switched to a windows box. I eventually gave it away...should have kept it.
Maybe you remember what it looks like?

http://www.mr-atari.com/homecomputers.htm

My first was a 400. It was $149.99 at Zayre's Department Store. I remember the price because it came with a $50 mail in rebate and I remember thinking, "Who can't affort a $100 computer?"

Before too long I replaced it with an 800xl then a 130xe. I had the xe until 1989 when I bought a 286 for school.

I still have a half dozen Ataris -- and they all work. Apparently they were designed before MTBF was invented. I can read floppies that were written a generation ago! And the games on them are still great.

I don't do that often, though, because some clever people continue to develop hardware and software for this platform, so I can flash games onto a cart myself or play them off an SD card reader.

Despite my affection for these, I have five desktops, five laptops, four Fires, and a Kindle. 99% of my computer use is at my desktop.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #52
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
more off topic stuff. I love this website with all the old computers listed by age/date:

http://oldcomputers.net/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #53
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Paper Tape punch/reader for storage/playback.
That's what I used on the job ... it looked like party streamers. Would carefully roll up a long roll of punched tape and secure it with a rubber-band. If you dropped the roll before it was banded, you got to chase it across the room as it unfurled ... no big deal ... except for everyone laughing!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
more off topic stuff. I love this website with all the old computers listed by age/date:

http://oldcomputers.net/
Oh I see mine! 1985 Atari 520ST! Cool. I know mine wasn't the list price, though. Found a deal on it somewhere.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #55
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I just got the white and silver iPad mini and I'm loving it.
I have an iPad 3. If the mini had been available when I bought it I probably would have gotten it.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #56
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree. Anecdotally, seems like everyone around me bought a tablet this year. 50-50 iPad versus other (Kindle HD has a strong showing). I myself recently gave in and bought my first true tablet, the latest iPad, after resisting for years.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #57
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Good...check and see if the ones you really will want, are available, there.
You can always sideload. Yes, not as practical and simply downloading from the store, but better than not having the option at all.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #58
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Yes.. I have GAS (gear acquiring syndrome).. I buy almost every Tablet that hits the market.. so far iPad Mini wins.. not to mention the iPad 4..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #59
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can always sideload. Yes, not as practical and simply downloading from the store, but better than not having the option at all.
You can do that on the Nook HD without rooting? I couldn't find how to do it on the Nook Color, I don't think it was allowed.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #60
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I agree. Anecdotally, seems like everyone around me bought a tablet this year. 50-50 iPad versus other (Kindle HD has a strong showing). I myself recently gave in and bought my first true tablet, the latest iPad, after resisting for years.
You will fall in Love with the iPad.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote