Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
somkk
somkk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5T
Kindle touch Password

Hi,

I set a password for my Kindle touch, and have forgot it

I'm aware that a reset will remove the password.
But that will also delete existing books on the kindle.

Is there a way to recover the books on the Kindle ?
Alternately, is it possible to remove/change the password without resetting the device ?

somkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by somkk View Post
Alternately, is it possible to remove/change the password without resetting the device ?
I'm not saying there isn't a way, but if there is that would mean that setting a password is pretty much a useless and futile gesture.

If you can defeat your forgotten password then so could anyone else.

-drjenkins
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Hi,

This is a technical question that is better asked in the kindle developer's corner forum.

Resetting the device will not change the password.

You can login using diags (with SSH partition installed), or you can use a RUNME.sh script (with a "data.tar.gz" hack) to replace the password hash for the root account. It is a text file that you can edit with the "vi" command. After mounting the main root partition, copy the "root" line from diags /etc/shadow to main /etc/shadow. That will either restore your original root password, or will change it to mario, depending on which firmware or partitions you have installed.

Please examine the dev corner master index, then read the K5 (touch) wiki and the simple debricking thread first, then ask questions in the dev corner forum and people there will be glad to help you.

There are other ways to solve your problem, including logging in with username framework and password mario (very restricted account) then do "cat /etc/shadow" and crack the shadow file contents using "John the Ripper". And other ways too (including copying somebody ELSES shadow file onto yours and using THEIR root password). Do whatever is easiest for you that does the job.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
This is a technical question that is better asked in the kindle developer's corner forum.

Resetting the device will not change the password.

You can login using diags (with SSH partition installed), or you can use a RUNME.sh script (with a "data.tar.gz" hack) to replace the password hash for the root account. It is a text file that you can edit with the "vi" command. After mounting the main root partition, copy the "root" line from diags /etc/shadow to main /etc/shadow. That will either restore your original root password, or will change it to mario, depending on which firmware or partitions you have installed.

Please examine the dev corner master index, then read the K5 (touch) wiki and the simple debricking thread first, then ask questions in the dev corner forum and people there will be glad to help you.

There are other ways to solve your problem, including logging in with username framework and password mario (very restricted account) then do "cat /etc/shadow" and crack the shadow file contents using "John the Ripper". And other ways too (including copying somebody ELSES shadow file onto yours and using THEIR root password). Do whatever is easiest for you that does the job.
I think what he means is the puny little html-based password dialog that is set from the setting menu. It's actually a passcode, because it's numbers only.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Don't yet reset it. The password is VERY insecure and can be fixed. Just wait a day or two till I make a noob-frendly password remover
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
d3vCr0w
d3vCr0w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT
I know it has been 5 years, but if anyone is still alive... Has anyone accomplished this? I have a Kindle Touch (purchased second handed from Amazon Warehouse) and I can't get into root account with the passwords generated with my Serial number, I also tried framework account with mario password, but same results, I can't access over SSH. Is there any "noob" solution?
d3vCr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is unclear what 'password(s)' you are writing about.
The ones that are part of the system from Amazon or the ones that are a part of the USBnetworking package (which on a K5 would be ssh and telnet).
That is; you have mixed references to both in your post.

Amazon provided, system image, password(s):
In the 'main' OS - all password usage is disabled (has been for years).
In the 'diags' OS - that is the system your serial number based password should work on.
(The Kindles in the 5.x firmware series are all dual-boot systems - or dual-systems boot, your choice of term.)

The add-ins behavior added by the USBnetworking package (and option file left untouched):
The 'main' system:
ssh over USB cable : no password required.
telnet over USB cable : no password required.
ssh over Wifi (normally not a default option setting) : password required
telnet over Wifi (normally not a default option setting) : no passord required (its telnet).

The above applies only if your running DropBear (the provided default), if instead you have set the options to run OpenSSH, it always requires a password.
The USBnetworking package provided sshd and telnetd have been modified to use password file(s) from visible USB storage, not the system image files.

There is no ssh access to the 'diags' system unless you have installed RP (Rescue Pack).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Hi,

Maybe a serial port can help retrieving all books before you go for a reset. There is also some wonky password which will reset the Kindle if you type it in. And you will have to copy files into your system through a command-line like PuTTY. I have never tried it.Coz mine is a JB-ed kindle

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 06-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Check the date of the post you are answering (the one you quoted).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check the date of the post you are answering (the one you quoted).

Anyways, my post can be helpful for anyone under the same situation
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote