Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Does anybody else agree with me? Isn't it insane that the original goal of making it "like using paper" has just passed over the important (maybe #1) pro of reading something in paper---> Namely, YOU CAN WRITE/HIGHLIGHT ON PAPER!!!!
omg so you're the guy who underlined the text in those used books I bought, accompanied by "???," "SO TRUE!" or "just like grandma!" I want my money back.

Kidding aside, it was never the goal to have it be like using paper, but like reading paper, hence "e-reader" and not "e-writer"/"e-notebook"/"e-book vandalizer." Since the priority was on reading, any screen technology that risked diminishing the paper-like appearance in any way was omitted from most devices. The Sony pulls it off decently, though, from what I've seen.

Plus I would think that the note taking system in e-readers is superior, since all your notes and highlights can be immediately accessed in one place instead of searching through the book for them. Just imo. In fact I really like this aspect of e-readers, since I wouldn't dream of writing in a book but recently I've been saving passages.

Then again, just like people who highlight text, I will most likely make the note and forget it exists. You know it's true.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I loved goodreader for class with highlighting. I used my finger instead of a stylus.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The ASUS eee Note sounds like what you were talking about, but you may have to wait
a couple of months before you can pick one up.

http://liliputing.com/2010/12/asus-e...xed-video.html

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Writing on the Sony 650 is NOT like writing on paper. The lag makes me lose my train of thought.
I find the stylus and the notes feature pretty much useless for anything but making a large tick mark perhaps.

I once tried to upload a 12x12 crossword puzzle into the reader, thinking I could use the stylus to write the solution as notes on top of it, but writing on the device is darn near impossible: not only does the digitizer lags, but its resolution is not sufficient, and if you tilt the stylus, the writing point is offset and isn't under the tip of the stylus anymore. Most annoying.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
At the moment, it's all about compromising, but if you have decided to forget the ipad already, then you'd not realize that what you want is already very available for the ipad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3g_wYr-vDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wfEW5q3tC4
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
highlighting, paper, pdf, pen, stylus