Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Onion M
Onion M began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Light grey square on screen

Just curious if anyone has seen this issue and how did Kobo support handle it.

My Glo is 4 months old and was not crushed or dropped. I resumed my reading one day and notice a light grey blotch covering about 1/8 of the screen.

After a painful discussion with a clearly disinterested Kobo support rep, he asked me to email a photo of my Glo. I received a canned response advising me:

"Unfortunately, the screen appears to be damaged, and since that is not covered under our Standard Warranty we will be unable to replace it for you.

The standard warranty covers only the manufacturing defects of the device itself, and, in the case of the screen, it means that the lines have to run either vertically or horizontally from side to side or top to bottom.

When there are diagonal lines, where the horizontal and vertical lines intersect, this is a clear indication of physical damage rather than a manufacturing defect, and as such it is not covered under the One Year Standard Warranty that we offer on our devices."

I have replied back asking for a supervisor/manager and explained that I will not accept this diagnosis based on a picture. I refuse to go down without a fight - seeing how I did not damage or drop the Glo.

Any advice?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo 2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	103073  
Onion M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Thread linked below has pics of what is broken in your device (just to give you an idea what you're dealing with).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=Teardown
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion M View Post
"When there are diagonal lines, where the horizontal and vertical lines intersect, this is a clear indication of physical damage rather than a manufacturing defect, and as such it is not covered under the One Year Standard Warranty that we offer on our devices."
What I read there is: when there are diagonal lines, that's a sign of physical damage. When there's physical damage, the defect is not covered by warranty.

Fine. Understandable.

What I do not understand is where that kobo rep you were talking to saw any diagonal lines. I say there's no diagonal lines, equals no physical damage, equals give this poor OP a new Glo!

I'd push my case, and perhaps open a new ticket to try and get a different rep if the current one doesn't change their mind.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What I do not understand is where that kobo rep you were talking to saw any diagonal lines. I say there's no diagonal lines, equals no physical damage, equals give this poor OP a new Glo!
If you look at the left side where the grey is you'll see a diagonal line up and to the right that is very typical of any pics of broken substrates you'll see. In this case it's not super obvious and if it's an artifact from the picture taking rather than actually present on the screen I would agree it's not a broken substrate.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you look at the left side where the grey is you'll see a diagonal line up and to the right that is very typical of any pics of broken substrates you'll see. In this case it's not super obvious and if it's an artifact from the picture taking rather than actually present on the screen I would agree it's not a broken substrate.
You mean the sort of lighter triangle in the grey, pointing down? I just took that for the lighting instead of an actual line. In any case it doesn't look like the lines (that were actual lines) that were on the screen in the thread you linked to.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Try re-photographing the screen in both portrait and landscape formats - this should show up that the "diagonal" line (like the slight pink colouring in part of the screen) is actually down to the photo and not the screen itself.

Three or four piccies from different viewpoints will almost certainly show that the issue is purely a horizontal one and not attributable to screen damage.

In reality I think most "diagonal" lines due to breakage would be more of a "starburst" - someone in Kobo is clutching at straws.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote