Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
adding a toc.ncx file to the .prc package

I've been unable to get the Amazon kindlegen.exe program to work. However, I know that the Amazon Kindle Previewer works fine with prc files I've created using MobiPocket Creator. However my one hang-up is that Kindle looks for a toc.ncx file in addition to the toc.html file that suffices for MobiPocket Reader. The Kindle UserGuide explains that the toc.ncx is incorporated into the eventual prc/mobi file by two lines of code added to the opf file before the "build". To the "manifest" section is added <item id="toc" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" href="toc.ncx"/> and the "spine" tag is adjusted with this attribute: <spine toc="toc">. Having added this code to the opf file, Mobipocket Creator won't "build" a prc/mobi file. It hangs. Does anyone know how to get around this problem?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
I've been unable to get the Amazon kindlegen.exe program to work. However, I know that the Amazon Kindle Previewer works fine with prc files I've created using MobiPocket Creator. However my one hang-up is that Kindle looks for a toc.ncx file in addition to the toc.html file that suffices for MobiPocket Reader. The Kindle UserGuide explains that the toc.ncx is incorporated into the eventual prc/mobi file by two lines of code added to the opf file before the "build". To the "manifest" section is added <item id="toc" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" href="toc.ncx"/> and the "spine" tag is adjusted with this attribute: <spine toc="toc">. Having added this code to the opf file, Mobipocket Creator won't "build" a prc/mobi file. It hangs. Does anyone know how to get around this problem?
I assume you have created a toc.ncx and put it where it needs to be?

Beyond that, I'd check very carefully to make sure the opf and ncx are well formed.

Mobipocket Creator definitely handles inclusion of toc.ncx. If you need an example to work with, you can download one from this page on Joshua Talent's Kindle Formatting web site.

And of course Kindlegen should work, too!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can create a MOBI for you, or in the alternative you can create an ePub using Calibre then unzip the ePub (which is just a zip file with a different filename extension) and import it into MobiPocket Creator (or run the ePub "as is" through kindlegen.exe).

The point is that an ePub has a toc.ncx and Calibre will produce a well formed version of it and the .opf file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
reply to tomsen

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've gone over the malfunctioning opf with ncx enabling code "with a fine tooth comb" and can't find any deviations from proper xml "form". Please find my reply to wallcraft for my ultimate resolution.
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
phonetouch5
Got Touch Phones
phonetouch5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd check very carefully to make sure the opf and ncx are well formed.

gottouchphones.com
phonetouch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert