Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's why I keep the 'cabinet' lid closed. (one of the things my wife and I had to work out early in the marriage -- me: "Honey, you left the lid up again." her: "Sorry, I always seem to forget that ...." )

Seriously, I have a Super-Power, I can drop something in the living room and if the lid is up, whatever I drop will not hit the ground 'til it's over the ... um, cabinet.

Unfortunately, there's just not much call for the world to be saved by "Drops Stuff in the Toilet Man."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Unfortunately, there's just not much call for the world to be saved by "Drops Stuff in the Toilet Man."
I thought I was the only person in the world that did that! Whenever I open the door of the wall cabinet in my bathroom, stuff always falls out ('cos it's full of junk) and inevitably goes straight down the toilet .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah! A Brother! Fortunately our "kryptonite" (a closed lid) is widely available, you just have to convince others to use it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Being single, I have only myself to blame, unfortunately. The old standby of "my evil twin brother must have escaped from the attic" rarely seems to work successfully, for some odd reason.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-13-2006 at 01:23 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #20
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I would never try to read in the tub, it's bad enough I fall asleep (doze) reading on the couch and guess what I always drop........... books....... so hoping I don't do it with this reader, but in the tub???????? never.... That is scary.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well at least with a reader you don't electrocute yourself!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I think the biggest trick to not dropping is it not laying it down anywhere. When books are in my hands in the tub, they never fall (i'm not 3), but it's when i put them on the edge for a second...

Also, someone compared a bath to a hot tub. Im not sure, but i think the chlorine makes the water much more conductive. In fact, clean water doesn't conduct at all, so I guess it comes down to how mineral-free is your tap and how salty is your back.

Another thing is that there's no way to cut the power in an emergency. That's really bad. A quick dunk and I'll bet the water won't get anywhere far, but if it then has a couple oh hours to seep.... that's really really bad. Cell phones have removable batteries, I really don't see why this can't.

I like reading in the tub too, but using ziplocks makes me cringe a little... I dunno, we'll see.

p.s. yvanleterrible, it's pretty hard to electrocute yourself even if you drop a toaster in the tub. Electricity doesn't want to spread through the water and attack, it just wants to get from point a to point b. So dropping in a toaster will make a shortcircuit inside and maybe heat the water. Just try not licking the shortcircuited toaster and the drainpipe at the same time.

Last edited by alex_d; 12-13-2006 at 05:20 PM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just joking! I saw something about that on "Mythbusters" . They tried with a hair dryer and salts in the tub. Myth busted!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #24
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

best waterproof solution

http://www.aquapac.net/

Great people to deal with, never ever have had a leak with any of their products. Used one of their bags for one of my REB1200s in the swimming pool and hot tub for some time now. Another for PDA usage. Another for a cell phone when I am out in the rain or camping. Another for limited use with a camera.

One time I ordered a newer product from them and got a call from England apologizing that there would be a two day delay in shipping to the states since it was not in the US as of yet. Just wonderful customer service.

I made a request for what I thought would be a good market for them - and got back a very detailed explination of why they would not be going after that market due to the fact that they could be "reasonably" assured that their things would work, but not 100% positive.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #25
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
wow, what a great company. (too bad their site doesn't work well with Opera.)

It's weird they say it won't work, though. It seems the Small Whanganui and maybe the PDA Classic Plus+ would fit the Reader.

Man, I'd love to soak in a bath or in a pool not caring that I keep dunking the Reader underwater.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
p.s. yvanleterrible, it's pretty hard to electrocute yourself even if you drop a toaster in the tub. Electricity doesn't want to spread through the water and attack, it just wants to get from point a to point b. So dropping in a toaster will make a shortcircuit inside and maybe heat the water. Just try not licking the shortcircuited toaster and the drainpipe at the same time.
Well, I am not yvanleterrible, but I will answer this one.

Have you ever heard about that fantastic TV series called "Mythbusters"?
They have a nice episode about dropping the toaster int the bathtub ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM   #27
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I seem to remember that dropping a paper book into the water in a bathtub is not particularly good for the book... i.e. it pretty well trashes it. I suppose in that sense the Reader is pretty much like any other book.

There's one sure fire solution to reading in the bathtub that I deduced many, many years ago... don't drop your book in the water.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #28
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I have an even easier solution. Just don't read in the tub.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #29
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

One could rig the reader hung from a nylon string, one end to the lanyard slot, and the other end to a carabiner hook. You can suspend the reader at a safe distance from water to a towel rack or a stainless ring hook on the ceiling. Just make sure the string is just the right length and that your hands are dry. If you drop it, the worst that could happen is for the reader to bang the side of the tub. Or your heart to skip a beat...or two.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #30
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Hey people like reading the tub. You can't fault them for that. I don't like baths, really. I like showers. I don't think you can read in there.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote