Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
pampalini
Enthusiast
pampalini began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 & PRS600 aka Touch Edition
Sony 1$=1€ E-reader policy is outrageous

I’m an European citizen and I find at least outrageous that the sony will sell the new reader - as they did with the 505 - at the 1$=1€ rate! so if the prs 600 cost in us 299$, in Europe it will cost 299€...which is not exactly the same thing!!!!
That’s veeery bad…
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/elektronica/...124/index.html

p.s.
and of course no english dictionary
pampalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Right now $299 = €209,53..
Sony does that with games of the playstation store too (1$=€1)

Last edited by tehKitten; 08-27-2009 at 10:52 AM.
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The generic reasons for higher costs are a) VAT and b) warranty terms. No VAT (or sales tax) on the list price in the US and typically a less favourable warranty. This isn't the entire story, Bookeen sells the Opus for $280 vs €250.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampalini View Post
and of course no english dictionary
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, firmware on all units is the same and has the dictionaries. You might need to choose it explicitly in settings if you select non-English user interface.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, firmware on all units is the same and has the dictionaries. You might need to choose it explicitly in settings if you select non-English user interface.
i thought i remembered that the dictionary was only accessible from english interface ? i could be wrong. but i think you can switch from american to british from the settings, if the dictionary is activated. i hope the dictionary can be used from non-english interface though. that would be better than nothing, since there is no french dictionary available.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the manual.
Quote:
If you set a language other than “English” for “Menu Language” at the initial setting, the dictionary function becomes disabled. To enable a dictionary, set either “New Oxford American Dictionary” or “Oxford Dictionary of English” in the “Dictionary” setting.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the manual.
oh, thank you igorsk, i saw that in the manual but i remembered it wrong. that is good news.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
pampalini
Enthusiast

Quote:
From the manual.
...you're right dear igorsk...that was just my speculation....but even with the dictionary i think this policy is highly unfair for europeans...and i do not think it's something connected with VAT issues (at least the price will be not the 1$=1€...but something different...)...and I saw that in the u.k is not 1$=1£...waterstone sell the 600 at £249.99....so I really would like to know what's their game!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
pampalini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This isn't the entire story, Bookeen sells the Opus for $280 vs €250.
...which i think is a fair policy....not the best conversion but at least not 1=1...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampalini View Post
...you're right dear igorsk...that was just my speculation....but even with the dictionary i think this policy is highly unfair for europeans...and i do not think it's something connected with VAT issues (at least the price will be not the 1$=1€...but something different...)...and I saw that in the u.k is not 1$=1£...waterstone sell the 600 at £249.99....so I really would like to know what's their game!
i agree with you, the pricing is abusive. 1$ != 1€ for a long time now. of course, for me (in france) this may be moot, because i still have found no mention of the new models anywhere (neither on sonystyle france nor the site of the big chain currently selling the 505). but i'm sure if we get it, the touch edition will be priced at 299€ (=427$, according to http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic).
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Sony must be implementing that new Verizon Math.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
That one never gets old.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
ouch !!!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That one never gets old.
[threadjack]
Have you seen the check?

[/threadjack]
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The generic reasons for higher costs are a) VAT and b) warranty terms. No VAT (or sales tax) on the list price in the US and typically a less favourable warranty. This isn't the entire story, Bookeen sells the Opus for $280 vs €250.
We've a 19% VAT here.

So, $299 * 1.19 = $355,81

At the current rate of exchange that is about €250.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote