Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Bierkonig
Bierkonig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
copy/paste from ebook text within library 2.5

Hello.

I've x-posted this in a VMware Fusion Discussion Forum on their community support website.

I'm able to copy text from an open ebook within Sony eBook Library 2.5 within my WinXP VM and paste that text into to ANY application that I have open in the VM. However, I am not able to paste directly into any applications open in Mac 10.5.6. I am able to paste the text within WinXP and then, without re-copying the text, paste the same within Mac 10.5.6 applications without difficulty. I'm hoping there's a shortcut, as I'm doing this x-platform copy/paste approximately 70 times an hour.

I am running VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865 on Mac OS 10.5.6, my virtual machine is WinXP SP3, and I have VM Tools installed, recently uninstalled and reinstalled/repaired. I've generally been mystified about how copy/paste works between platforms with Unity.

If anyone has a third party idea, I'm interested in that too.

thanks.
Bierkonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm running windows and find that I can copy from the Sony Ebook library and paste into anything else, provided that the book doesn't have DRM. If it is a DRM'd file (with an LRX file extension) then it won't allow any copying.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Bierkonig

Indeed, i have no problem pasting into anything else within the windows environment.

I believe the problem is the format that the ebook library stores the text on the clipboard is not compatible with VM Fusion Unity mode clipboard implimentation, so it cannot be transmitted from one platform to another without an intermediary step.

Still, it's odd that I can re-paste x-platform just fine if i first paste it within windows -- that is, I can copy from ebook library then paste anywhere and not need to recopy what I pasted before re-pasting the same within mac.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Try a third party cut/paste windows application (ie. clipmate) as it may
be able to bypass any pasting limitations from VM?

In theory, there shouldn't be any problems.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Bierkonig

Okay, this is weird. Very weird. Has anyone copy/pasted from ebook library 2.5 using clipmate?

The text you copy is not recognized by clipmate (as I believe happens also with the standard windows clipboard) UNTIL you switch from ebook library to any other program. As soon as you select another program, then and only then does the copied txt transfer to the clipboard/clipmate.

You need to enter a 2nd windows program before the ebook library actually exports the text you've copied within the ebook library to the clipboard. I'm guessing the ebook library software does this to manage caches more efficiently or something.

Thus, there would appear to be no way to copy direct from the ebook library to a mac program because of how ebook library manages copy/export functions.
Advert