Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
downloading calibre in ubuntu hardy

Hi,

I have calibre downloaded on my windows drive with no problems and enjoy using it. So I thought I would download it on my ubuntu drive as well even though that involved "using the command line" rather than add/remove or synaptic. command line still equals very scary.

first I tried the ubuntu intrepid commands & got this -

elizabeth@elizabeth-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-setuptools python-imaging libqt4-core libqt4-gui \ python-qt4 python-mechanize imagemagick \ xdg-utils python-dbus python-lxml python-beautifulsoup \ help2man
[sudo] password for elizabeth:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-imaging is already the newest version.
python-imaging set to manually installed.
E: Couldn't find package python-qt4

so I read through various threads here and saw where someone recommend using the binary commands, so I did that & got this

elizabeth@elizabeth-desktop:~$ sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre (Its contents will be deleted!)[/opt/calibre]:
Downloading calibre...
100% [================================================== ================================================== ===============================]
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Creating symlinks...
Trying to setup udev rules...
* Restarting Hardware abstraction layer hald [ OK ]
Setting up bash completion... done
Setting up desktop integration...
Installing MAN pages...
Installing MAN page for lrf-meta
Failed to install MAN pages as help2man is missing from your system
elizabeth@elizabeth-desktop:~$

calibre appears to be installed on my ubuntu system but I haven't done anything but open it yet. is the missing help2man and/or MAN pages important? do I need to install it somehow? do I need to redo this all somehow?

thanks, newbie ubuntu user Beth

p.s - in windows xp, sony reader has you eject the reader. do I have to unmount it when I use the reader with calibre on either the ubuntu or the xp side?
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can ignore the missing man pages. You dont need to eject the reader, though unmounting it is recommended to prevent damage.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert