Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
as pkbo pointed out correctly boox was not seeing the second ext3 partition.
But when the first partition is fat32 it auto mounts it and recognizes the ext3 partition. I don't know more - I'm just a noob. So I'm not saying it must be FAT32 but it works for me.
- maybe it works because this time I did it with fdisk instead of grub..

fdisk is not available on boox. Preparing SD card is much easier and faster on pc.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@crazydog great, you did it! Can you post here output of fdisk -l [whatever device corresponds to your sd card]?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

seaniko7 opened a new world to ebook reader. fantastic

@pkbo: output of fdisk (SD Card)

Disk /dev/sdc: 7948 MB, 7948206080 bytes
245 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders, total 15523840 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0004f64f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 2048 4194303 2096128 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sdc2 4194304 15523839 5664768 83 Linux
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #19
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
waaa I got it

SEANIKO7 is the KING

I formatted the first partition on sd card as fat32 - the second as ext3. I did it with fdisk instead of grub.

Obuntu is working really fast.
Great

Did you do the partitioning and unpacking under windows or linux?

If you have some spare time, could you post here the steps you did in some more detail?

Last edited by por; 07-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
crazydog
error

@por
fdisk /dev/sdx --where x is the sd card
m prints the help commant (really helpful)
n creates new partition
then you have to set the size, I set it with +xxxx where x is the number of sectors
then you have to format it... and repeat that to create a second partition

tar -pxjvf is the command i used to extract the rootfs (where p is needed to preserve permissions)

I hope I could help you a bit.
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Can anyone film this and put this on youtube?

Not only to gain attention but also because I would like to see this

And is there any practical use or will there be? Must be cool to run linux but in the end it runs on an e-ink display
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
hello to all. I am following with great attention the developments of the discussion. I'm a non-expert user of linux and I know that seaniko7 said that for now ported to ubuntu is recommended for expert users. I though I would try, as I think many, and I tried to merge the instructions of seaniko7 with the advice of CrazyDdog to get a more detailed procedure possible. I hope seaniko7 or CrazyDog can control this procedure and give the ok. for me to point 4 is still unclear. thank you very much, I look forward ...

1 - Download uImage-initramfs from:
https://github.com/intromatyk/public_kernel/tree/iMX508

1.1??? - Copy the file uimage-initramfs in internal memory of boox (is my personal interpretation)

2 - Flash uImage-initramfs using dd command

with betty boox terminal emulator : dd if=/media/flash/update/uImage-initramfs of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=12288

3 - Download current rootfs from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n50udy9rki...060713.tar.bz2

4 - Format SD and create two ext3 partitions

I formatted the first partition on sd card as fat32 - the second as ext3. I did it with fdisk instead of grub.

fdisk /dev/sdx --where x is the sd card
m prints the help commant (really helpful)
n creates new partition
then you have to set the size, I set it with +xxxx where x is the number of sectors
then you have to format it... and repeat that to create a second partition

is this operation in boox with betty boox or in windows??

5 - Unpack rootfs on second partition preserving permissions and symbolic links

tar -pxjvf (with betty boox, is my personal interpretation)

6 - Boot OS using update procedure (i.e. reboot holding Back button)
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Awesome Work seaniko. I am a noob, so i cannot try this.

I want to know one thing - How is the refresh rate in Obuntu. Is something like No-Refresh possible?
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
2 - Flash uImage-initramfs using dd command

with betty boox terminal emulator : dd if=/media/flash/update/uImage-initramfs of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=12288

I simply took the flash.oar file from the utility provided for removing the password protection and changed it with a text editor to:
dd if=/media/flash/update/uImage-initramfs of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=12288
, is that ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
is this operation in boox with betty boox or in windows??
I think this operation has to be done on a linux machine...

Last edited by por; 07-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #25
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
i made a quick tour on my m92 using

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=5

i can see that the main disk is called /dev/mmcblk0 and it's splitted on tre linux partition (id=83) mounted a /, /root and /media/flash

The other disk being the external sd card.
So basically overwriting with dd the provided uImage-initramfs to /dev/mmcblk0 must be done as root and is a potential brick of the device.

I would like to mount -o loop the provided dd image on a linux machine on a mount point but i was not able.
Maybe my command is not correct.

mount -o loop,offset=32256 uImage-initramfs /tmp/
i have back
mount: unknown filesystem type '(null)'

i will feel more reassured if i can see the difference between the image and my current artatech system.
Maybe with a different tar archive for each of the 3 file systems to overwrite.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #26
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@underscore, you can not mount uImage-initramfs, as it's compressed kernel with initramfs.

Also, you cannot brick device without overwriting two kernels (basic one, and second used for updates). Even then, you can reflash your Boox using MFG tool.

@Feher, as I mentioned in other thread, Obuntu is designed to work in two modes :
Quote:
I'm writing directly to epdc framebuffer, also I used imx xorg display driver instead of fbdev.

Scren updates are handled by screen_updater daemon, which constatnly refreshes screen at 1bpp (~300ms) or 4bpp (~900ms). Moreover, it can be configured to check which parts of screen changed and perform partial update.
I need to write gui control panel which will use domain sockets or dbus to change screen_updater preferences...
Default username and password can be found in first post.

Personally I use parted for partitioning SD card, and extract rootfs contents on Linux machine, NOT on Boox directly.

Last edited by seaniko7; 07-11-2013 at 03:10 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
crazydog
error

M92 Obuntu using Synaptic to install Software
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z0egtjzcr...u_Synaptic.mp4

M92 Obuntu Midori Browser
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h86kwple40...ntu_Midori.mp4

M92 playing video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3wdlcc7kh...Bunny_480p.mp4
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #28
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Thx for the videos!
Impressive the movie on e-ink.
Obuntu looks pretty fast.

Is the joystick usable as well?
The plan is to browse documents in a folder and double click them to read, exactly how we are used to use the reader :-)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #29
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@underscore, all keys are usable, but I haven't mapped them yet. For now only "Enter" works out-of-the-box.

Now I'm writing initramfs based bootloader, then I'll focus on further development of system image.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
@seaniko7

Will you publish the screen_updater source code?
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote