Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
portlester
portlester began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Activity reader is not responding

I have recently found that my PRS-T1 readers is freezing for approximately a minute, following at least two actions.

The first is when I click on a book to read from the front, Books or Collections pages on the reader. The second is when I have been using the browser (checking emails, news, etc) and click the Continue Reading. In both cases the book opens, however the ereader then freezes.

While the ereader is frozen, if I try and forward/swipe to the next page (or any other actions), I will often get the following message pop up, Activity reader (in application reader) is not responding, with the options to Force close or Wait immediately after the ereader unfreezes.

I've search the forums for an answer, and have found a thread where a similar message came up for people accessing the dictionary, however I could no find a suitable fix.

Has anyone else come across this issue and has an answer. The two options I've thought of are to remove the books (148 on the main memory) and then selectively reload them to find out if there is an issue with a particular epub or to do a hard reset (I've already tried a soft reset). Or if it is an issue with the ereader itself I still have approx 2 weeks of warranty left.

Any other ideas?

thanks in advance
Ian

Last edited by portlester; 12-06-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Added more info
portlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Two more questions:
You are using what firmware? Did you update to the last official version?
Is this a unaltered or a rooted device?
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Two more questions.. does it "unfreeze" itself?.. are you getting the rotating arrows icon on the status bar?... Certainly looks like a bad e-pub... the T1 is not very good at handling corrupt files....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
portlester
portlester began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Thanks for your comments.

I am currently using the latest firmware (1.05.11130) - and the issues also occurred with the previous firmware before I updated last week.

The ereader is not rooted (although that's debatable at the moment ).

As for the rotating arrows ... I don't get the status bar showing as the book (and it is not always the same one) opens to a page and then then the ereader freezes. Mind you while playing with the ereader now to check, I managed to confuse it enough that the whole screen went black and I had to soft reboot.

Assuming it is a bad epub, is the best option is to remove the most recently added books and see if it fixes the problem. I will also take a closer look at Calibre's check epub plugin to see if I can track down the faulty book.

I will be relieved if it is a faulty epub and not a faulty ereader, as with the holidays coming up I don't want to be without it (I have some serious reading planned!). It is still under warranty for a couple of weeks, so I hope to get this sorted out asap.

Thanks again.
Ian
portlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah you should do both.... use calibre(or SIGIL) to check the recent e-pubs... I found that the issue with my bad e-pub was that the reader was trying to load the cover into that stupid "recently added" display on the home screen.. it just kept on trying to load that sucker lol I had to plug it in and use windoze explorer to delete the offending book..
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert