Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Glo crashes when changing margins - should I change it?

Hello,

I just got my Glo four days ago (bought it for the light feature, had a Nook Simple Touch, I'm generally very pleased with the Glo).

But, my Glo crashes (most of the time it freezes and I have to reset it, twice it just rebooted by itself) when I try to change the margins on a sideloaded EPUB.

I have read other Threads and understand that I cannot actually change the margins because the EPUB file has restrictions and I (think) I know how to take them off with Calibre.
I have also verified that when using a kEPUB I can change the margins OK.

I'm OK with the Glo not being able to adjust the margins on some EPUBs but I'm not that OK with the crash.

So, if this is a purely a software issue then a future upgrade will hopefully cure it, but, more importantly, taking my Glo back and asking for another one would not solve the problem.

On the other hand, if this is not purely a software issue then an exchange may work. It is not that I need to change the margins (in fact I like the text to occupy the whole screen) but I would rather not have a device that crashes.

So, has anyone else experienced this? If not then I'll go change it for another Glo.
If this happens to everybody's Glo then it's a software issue.

Thank you.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Have you tried other sideloaded epubs?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
This is not happening for other users, so you need to go exchange it, unless this is only happening with this particular epub, in which case it's the epub file that is corrupted/has formatting issues/etc
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I am mystified!

I side-loaded about 5 other e-books (from Project Gutenberg and other sites).
I tried them up.
Most simply worked, i.e. the margins changed.

Then I found one where the margins did not change but the Glo did not crash.

So, I thought, "OK, I'll make you crash".

I opened the book that I was reading before (that crashed the Glo) and started playing with the margins.
The margins did not change, of course.

But, to my surprise, the Glo did not crash either!?!

So, whatever the reason, my Glo is cured.
I guess self-healing software does exist!

I am still a bit uneasy that it did crash before (I could reproduce this at will all day Monday and Tuesday) but maybe my one e-book (badly formatted maybe) was feeling lonely and it misbehaved.

I don't know what happened but I don't think I'll exchange it anymore. I am very happy with the Glo and I think it is better than my Nook Touch in more respects than just for the light.

Thank you for your answers and for trying to help and I'm sorry for wasting people's time.

But it was real! I even showed it to some people at work.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm using a Touch rather than a Glo. And I see an occasional freeze when changing the font settings for a book. It usually happens when I do a few changes in one session. The size of the book also seems to have an affect. For a long book, the freeze might happen on the third or fourth change. For a short book, it might take ten or twelve changes. I think it happens quicker when changing the font, but I have had it when playing with the margins and line spacing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
RoGuE_StreaK
RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm using a Touch rather than a Glo. And I see an occasional freeze when changing the font settings for a book.
Ditto. Not really an issue once you have your preferred settings locked in, but not the best when showcasing to your mates how you can change such things.

RE: locked margins, I've taken to processing every epub I side-load through Calibre to remove hard-coded margin settings, just as a matter of course. Also removing paragraph spaces and adding indent.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
Corkobo
Zealot

Unhappy

Well, just when I thought all is well with my Glo, my wife started playing with the font sizes and crashed it.
Later on I just changed the line spacing (not playing with it, just wanted it tighter) and I crashed it too.

And unlike the margins, which never changed for this book, I was able to change the font size and the line spacing at will for this book. In fact, 2-3 days ago I played with these adjustments a lot (to discover its adjustment capabilities which are impressive coming from the Nook) and there was no crash.

So, taking into account the posts above from davidfor and RoGuE_StreaK it seems to be a "feature" of the latest Kobos that they do not play well with some sideloaded EPUBs with locked features.

I don't know if it will make a difference (it probably won't) but I'll try to exchange it this weekend for another one. Hopefully WH Smith won't make an issue of it as I'm not sure I can reproduce the problem at will.

Before the weekend I will try one more thing: I will do a factory reset (later on today) and see if that fixes it.

I still like the Glo more than any other e-Reader I’ve had or played with and I could live with this small bug, but crashes (for any reason) are not a good thing. If the feature would simply not work for some EPUBs there would not be a problem but crashes like this cast the suspicion of general instability in the system.
The Nook Simple Touch never crashed, not even once and we have two of them for more than a year now.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
[...] but maybe my one e-book (badly formatted maybe) was feeling lonely and it misbehaved.

Quote:
Well, just when I thought all is well with my Glo, my wife started playing with the font sizes and crashed it.
Later on I just changed the line spacing (not playing with it, just wanted it tighter) and I crashed it too.

And unlike the margins, which never changed for this book, I was able to change the font size and the line spacing at will for this book. In fact, 2-3 days ago I played with these adjustments a lot (to discover its adjustment capabilities which are impressive coming from the Nook) and there was no crash.

So, taking into account the posts above from davidfor and RoGuE_StreaK it seems to be a "feature" of the latest Kobos that they do not play well with some sideloaded EPUBs with locked features.

I don't know if it will make a difference (it probably won't) but I'll try to exchange it this weekend for another one. Hopefully WH Smith won't make an issue of it as I'm not sure I can reproduce the problem at will.

Before the weekend I will try one more thing: I will do a factory reset (later on today) and see if that fixes it.
Have you tried formatting the books that are giving you crashes with Calibre? If the problems disappear after taking away all the book's shortcomings you'll know the problems were because of the book. Otherwise, you'll go through the trouble of exchanging your Glo, only to see the same problems appear on the new Glo...

In case you'd like an example, I attached screen shots of the settings I use to format books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 10.57.16.png
Views:	399
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	95743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 10.57.27.png
Views:	360
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	95744  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Corkobo
Zealot

Mrs_Often,

Thank you for your attachment, I'll certainly use that.
Due to an unexplained bout of blindness I never even noticed the "Filter Style Information" tab.
I guess I saw "CSS" and my brain filtered out any image from the immediate area (I'm allergic to CSS).
I was planning later to look into taking out all the constraints from my EPUBs and now I know how. Thank you.

As for the EPUB being at fault, I agree with that.
But still the point is that it should not crash.
If fonts or line spacing or margins are locked then I perfectly agree that the device should not be expected to alter them but nor should the device crash.

I now carry a paperclip with me...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My Kobo Mini has done this 4 times since upgrading firmware.
Sliding and holding the on/off slider switch for about 20 seconds twice seems to reset it.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mrs_Often,

Thank you for your attachment, I'll certainly use that.
Due to an unexplained bout of blindness I never even noticed the "Filter Style Information" tab.
I guess I saw "CSS" and my brain filtered out any image from the immediate area (I'm allergic to CSS).
I was planning later to look into taking out all the constraints from my EPUBs and now I know how. Thank you.

As for the EPUB being at fault, I agree with that.
But still the point is that it should not crash.
If fonts or line spacing or margins are locked then I perfectly agree that the device should not be expected to alter them but nor should the device crash.

I now carry a paperclip with me...
You're welcome. It took me a long time to find that tab as well! So that's exactly why I'd help you find it a bit faster I hope it solves your problems.

But yes, I do agree with you that the device shouldn't crash or lock up or anything just because it can't change something it wants to change. A bit drama queeny and frustrating. Are you sure you need the paperclip though? I had a freeze this morning, and I could switch the device on and off. Note though: switching off meant sliding and holding the slider button for about 10 seconds to be sure the device was off, but the screen just stayed stuck so I had no real feedback of the device being off. Sliding and letting go of the slider to switch on also gave me no screen change: I only knew it had worked because the LED light gave me the appropriate colour blink (I think blue and then something else). I waited a few seconds and then the screen dutifully changed to the starting up squares... Might be worth trying that (if you haven't already of course) next time before going straight to the paperclip...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Corkobo
Zealot

Oh I tried switching on and off and the first time it worked but it never did since (to be honest I did not even try the last 2-3 times).

But the fact that you also had a freeze this morning makes me pessimistic about my chances of getting another device with no crash/freezing problems.
If other people get this then the fault is probably in the firmware and not the hardware.

Mrs_Often, I hope you do not mind me asking but do you get these freezes often?

Last edited by Corkobo; 11-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Corkobo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My Kobo Mini has done this 4 times since upgrading firmware.
Sliding and holding the on/off slider switch for about 20 seconds twice seems to reset it.
Helen
So, more weight to the theory that it is firmware...
Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Mrs_Often, I hope you do not mind me asking but do you get these freezes often?
Of course I don't mind. And I'm sorry, I should have been a little bit more explanatory. My freeze was completely my own fault: I was messing around with the plugin, unsupported by Kobo and completely third party and still in alpha stage... So not related to anything substantial at all. And no, I hardly ever get freezes. Actually, I think I've had one freeze that was not directly my own fault since I got my Kobo last year (December 2011). (I have a Touch, not a Glo.)

So, no worries! No need to become pessimistic
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
So, more weight to the theory that it is firmware...
Yes. I really really doubt this is hardware. Especially seeing it only happens with certain books