Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Question about a stolen Kindle 3 (wi-fi only)

My Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi only) was stolen recently. The thief ordered some books using my unit (I did not set a password on the unit). Later I called Amazon to have it blacklisted and disabled.

Since I have some personal document on the unit, I am worrying that if the thief does not turn on wi-fi again, he may still be able to read my document, and find some way to steal my identity.

I called Amazon for confirmation that the unit did indeed has been disabled, but the representative was rather vague about it. She just mentioned that a blacklisted unit cannot be used at all, regardless the status of the wi-fi. But I am not totally convinced.

Can someone verify that, if the thief does not turn on wi-fi ever again, he can still access my content already downloaded on the unit?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by tao; 07-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, they will be able to access all documents on the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Amazon can't access the Kindle if the wireless is off, so they can't possibly delete what's on it.

My commiserations. I had mine stolen in December. It's a horrible blow.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Thank you for the answers. I should have set the password on the unit. I will do that with my replacement unit.

Mine was snatched while I was reading on the subway during evening rush hour. Maybe I should refrain from reading my Kindles in public space. Read a paper book will be much safer.

It seems the Kindle is a thief magnet now. I hope the blacklist policy will be a deterrence.

Last edited by tao; 07-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
People were doing the same thing with ipods a few years back when they were new, just grabbing them right off of the listener walking down the street.

Sorry to here this.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep. Somebody snatched my neighbor's iPad right out of her hands on the El, and ran out the door. Fortunately, somebody saw where he went and the cops got him. They got her iPad back, but they are holding it as evidence for a week or so.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Sorry to hear about your kindle. I'm glad you weren't hurt.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Sorry to hear about your kindle. I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Well i guess there is some small humour in it. AT the least the police will be looking for a well read thief.

Glad things are ok. good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
That's terrible! I would be lost without mine.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I am sorry you got ripped off. Fish hooks and razor blades epoxied to the perimeter of the device will likely prevent a snatch and run theft in the future...
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Someone stole my day planner 2 years ago. my entire life was in that thing! so, trust me, i know how you feel....
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stolen