Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
FontShrinker - tool to subset a font

This program can create a subset of a font. You can choose to either input some text (or paste a whole book) and determine the unique characters. That should go quite fast (for example, HP4 takes about 1 sec on my laptop). You can also choose some sets of characters.
You can also just drop an ePUB on the application to shrink all the fonts in the ePUB according to the used glyphs.

It only accepts TTF.

It should run on x86, probably XP and up.

Latest version can be downloaded from my site.

Version 2.11 is located here.

Last edited by Toxaris; 01-27-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
This program can create a subset of a font. You can choose to either input some text (or paste a whole book) and determine the unique characters. That should go quite fast (for example, HP4 takes about 1 sec on my laptop). You can also choose some sets of characters.

It should accept both OTF and TTF.

It should run on x86, probably XP and up.
Will you marry me? (Okay, really, just joking, even if there was not an ocean between, but OMG, I am thrilled to see this!)

Gonna try this one right now.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Does it decode HTML entities ( , —)? Does it handle ligatures and other features (keep ligatures if all their components are in the subset, remove them otherwise)? Any chance of having a linux (or source code) version (maybe include it in Sigil and/or Calibre)?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it can handle most HTML entities (or it should). However, you have to provide the characters to subset. You can easily copy/past from Sigil.
At the moment it does not read data. I might change that later, but that is quite a bit more complicated.

As it is programmed in .NET, Linux is out of the question.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Even through the use of Mono?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
(maybe include it in Sigil and/or Calibre)?
Having it in Sigil would be great. I heard that Calibre already does this (see post #7 from this topic).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Even through the use of Mono?
You can try...
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Having it in Sigil would be great. I heard that Calibre already does this (see post #7 from this topic).
Integration is not possible, it is restricted to Windows due to the requirements of .NET. Also it is written in a different programming language.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can try...
I don't think we can, since you only provided installation files for Windows, and not the real executable (or source code). At least, my mono says "File does not contain a valid CIL image".
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, this is the real executable (at least in a zip). Source code will not be distributed for now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FontShrinker.zip (54.9 KB, 534 views)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

OK, now I can answer: I doesn't work with Mono
I get the message: "The entry point method could not be loaded"

Or maybe I don't know how to do it, as I've never used Mono before. It could be that I have to install some package or use some command line... With Wine the program does open, but it crashes when actually trying to create a subset.

In case you are interested, you might have a look here, but I understand if you aren't
Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

Not really, but I actually think it is not possible. The program is not that complicated right now and it uses a very specific module in .NET 4. I think that part is not ported by Mono right now. The rest is rather straightforward and should work. I guess the same applies for Wine...

As long as Mono does not port that particular dll, there is no way I can get it to work. I will keep an eye on Mono to see if there are any changes.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I ran the MSI file in the zip and it did install it into my C:\ drive but it didn't generate an entry into my start menu or the desktop, I had to manually add it to my desktop.

You might want to modify the installer to do this as some people might think it failed to install.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

I have updated the installer. It will create a desktop shortcut and the start menu items. For now I am unable to give an user selection, but will do that later.

Last edited by Toxaris; 01-21-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Super! Would you like to be adopted?

After hearing about the problem with ligatures from Calibre subsetted fonts, I'm curious. Has anybody checked on whether this handles ligatures ok?

Thank you Toxaris, you get ten gold stars.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote