Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Question [Android App] Calibre Companion & User Categories

Thanks once again for a fantastic product!

Could you please explain how to use the feature "User Categories?" I have a user category defined in Calibre and was trying to use it with Calibre Companion. Are "User Categories" the same as Calibre's "Add your own column?" I have a column defined as read and it is of type Yes/No. I defined it in Calibre Companion as #read:no. It returns a blank screen. What am I doing wrong?

Dave
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
User categories are equivalent to sony collections. They permit you to build almost arbitrary groups of books listed in arbitrary orders.

They aren't the same as custom columns. A custom column holds data. A user category takes that data, creates named categories (there are tweaks to control the naming) and adds the books to the categories by looking at the data. In other words, it builds "groups" for data in the same way that calibre companion does for the standard fields (authors, series, tags, etc).

You group custom columns by entering the lookup key into CC using the "custom categories" dialog. In your case you would enter #read. HOWEVER, in the current version of CC only text-type custom columns can be grouped, so your yes/no column won't do anything. I have added support in the next release of CC for creating groups for yes/no columns in addition to the various text types.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
User categories are equivalent to sony collections. They permit you to build almost arbitrary groups of books listed in arbitrary orders.

They aren't the same as custom columns. A custom column holds data. A user category takes that data, creates named categories (there are tweaks to control the naming) and adds the books to the categories by looking at the data. In other words, it builds "groups" for data in the same way that calibre companion does for the standard fields (authors, series, tags, etc).

You group custom columns by entering the lookup key into CC using the "custom categories" dialog. In your case you would enter #read. HOWEVER, in the current version of CC only text-type custom columns can be grouped, so your yes/no column won't do anything. I have added support in the next release of CC for creating groups for yes/no columns in addition to the various text types.
Thanks for explaining the User Categories!

Dave
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote