Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
ebook_novice
ebook_novice began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3, iPhone (eReader)
Question Converting ebooks for iPad to swap over?

Hello All.

I am a religious user of my cybook ereader, using the mobipocket format - prc (i think) and also dabble in the eReader for the iPhone which I think just uses the eReader format.

I really, really like the look of the iPad and would really, really like to get one.

However before I order one (in Australia) I was just wanting to know if I will be able to read the prc or eReader format on the iPad, or can I convert all my prc format books to the the ePUB format which I hear the the iPad uses (and how can i do this?).

I am guessing (and crossing fingers) that the eReader app for the iPhone will be usable on the iPad, so problem solved for all my eReader format books. But can anyone shed light on my prc problem with the iPad?

Also, can anyone let me know if the iBooks store will be turning international with the release of the iPad world wide? Or should I just go through my normal ebook store (fictionwise) and just keep converting my files?

Thanks Forums

ebook_novice
ebook_novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
ranwenling
ranwenling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook_novice View Post
Hello All.

I am a religious user of my cybook ereader, using the mobipocket format - prc (i think) and also dabble in the eReader for the iPhone which I think just uses the eReader format.

I really, really like the look of the iPad and would really, really like to get one.

However before I order one (in Australia) I was just wanting to know if I will be able to read the prc or eReader format on the iPad, or can I convert all my prc format books to the the ePUB format which I hear the the iPad uses (and how can i do this?).

I am guessing (and crossing fingers) that the eReader app for the iPhone will be usable on the iPad, so problem solved for all my eReader format books. But can anyone shed light on my prc problem with the iPad?

Also, can anyone let me know if the iBooks store will be turning international with the release of the iPad world wide? Or should I just go through my normal ebook store (fictionwise) and just keep converting my files?

Thanks Forums

ebook_novice
You can use Calibre to covert prc to Epub ( works fine) If not use Kindle for Ipad.
ranwenling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have an Ipod Touch, and I have most of the 'readers' on it... I can read Epub, Mobi/prc, PDB.. That's what I like about the Ipod, and it even syncs with my Kindle.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranwenling View Post
You can use Calibre to covert prc to Epub ( works fine) If not use Kindle for Ipad.
The problem is getting the Mobipocket content onto the iPad for the Kindle App to display. I don't think there is a way other then jailbreaking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
When I switched to iPad from my Kindle, I used Calibre to convert all of my (non-DRMed) mobi/prc files into ePub, which loaded just fine in iBooks.

I agree with JSWolf, I haven't yet found any way to get mobi/prc books into the iPad's Kindle App. It's a real pain. I would go for the Calibre/iBooks approach instead.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
The eReader app is not a usable option on the iPad. Either (a) you keep it at the original size and it takes a fraction of your screen (roughly iPod Touch-sized), or (b) you blow it up and the text looks terrible. You should not expect that eReader will be updated for the iPad anytime soon - if ever - since it has been purchased by Barnes and Noble. You will not be able to import your books the B&N application.

You will also not be able to import your books to the Kindle application. Even if you were to jailbreak it, placing files in the Kindle's data folder is not guaranteed to make the Kindle application read them.

I recommend using calibre to convert them to ePub. As long as your books are not DRM'd, this will be a very simple process. Even if they are DRM'd there are ways around this problem if you like cabbages. After converting, you can use any non-DRM ePub reader to read them, including iBooks. I personally am currently using readMe, because of its support for downloading epubs from the browser. (I run calibre server and download them from there.)
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I personally am currently using readMe, because of its support for downloading epubs from the browser. (I run calibre server and download them from there.)
Is readMe an app for iPad? I use calibre to convert formats, but haven't done anything with calibre server. Can you point me to any forums/tutorials on it?

I must admit I'm completey & totally enamored with the iBooks app as an ereader. I've had absolutely no issue reading for long periods on the screen. The interface is just incredibly intuitive & it works "out of the box", or more appropriately, once the download is complete!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Is readMe an app for iPad? I use calibre to convert formats, but haven't done anything with calibre server. Can you point me to any forums/tutorials on it?

I must admit I'm completey & totally enamored with the iBooks app as an ereader. I've had absolutely no issue reading for long periods on the screen. The interface is just incredibly intuitive & it works "out of the box", or more appropriately, once the download is complete!
Yes, readMe is an iPad app. I am currently using it as a drop-in replacement for stanza. Calibre-server is talked about here.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Yes, readMe is an iPad app. I am currently using it as a drop-in replacement for stanza. Calibre-server is talked about here.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
When I switched to iPad from my Kindle, I used Calibre to convert all of my (non-DRMed) mobi/prc files into ePub, which loaded just fine in iBooks.

I agree with JSWolf, I haven't yet found any way to get mobi/prc books into the iPad's Kindle App. It's a real pain. I would go for the Calibre/iBooks approach instead.
You can use BookshelfLT but it does not have the most sophisticated interface.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, file conversion, ipad, mobipocket, prc ebooks