Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Broken PRS-600. Would a PRS-300 work for me?

Alright, so here's the deal. Last night I slipped and the end result was a broken screen on my PRS-600. Everything else seems to work (I can transfer books and what not). I checked with Sony and it looks like the damage screen basically means I'll be purchasing a new device.

So, here's my question. Do you think a PRS-300 would work for me? The idea of a smaller device that fits better in my pocket is very appealing to me and since I've been very happy with the quality of Sony's PRS-600, I thought the smaller version might work.

Now for some details about my usage. I find that I never use the touch screen, mp3 player or external memory cards. I do occasionally use the dictionary, but that's not a deal breaker. The one thing I'm worried about is that I read a lot of manga (for my eyes the PRS-600 has been perfect with this) and I'm wondering if losing that inch will make things unreadable. Also, I've read that the PRS-300 is much slower at page turns.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
R0B_IX
Enthusiast

Well, with today being my day off I decided to pick up a PRS-300 and try it out (I could always return it if the device didn't work out). Well, I must say that I'm very happy so far. I definitely prefer this screen over the 600. Books are of course very readable and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the manga I read is as well.

My only real gripe is that on the 600 you could hold down the page turn key to have it quickly flip through pages and the 300 seems to just jump 10 pages and then stop. Also, page turns are certainly a bit sluggish, but neither complaint is something I can't live with. In short, I'll be keeping the device and walking more carefully when I have it in hand .
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Smaller screen might make it harder to read the speech bubbles. On the other hand, the DPI is higher (resolution is the same 600x800), so you should get sharper lines. Also note that PRS-300 is missing the picture viewer, so you'll have to convert your comics to PDF, LRF or EPUB (maybe .
Another thing is that PRS-300 is based on the older PRS-505 hardware and so it slower than PRS-600.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
R0B_IX
Enthusiast

Yes, I am worried about about really small speech bubbles, but I've found that translated manga uses a very suitable text size. I think attempting to read an American based comic might be a lot harder, but I've never tried so I can't really be certain.

As for it not showing images, luckily I've been using the converter built into calibre to convert cbz/cbr archives to epub since I picked up the PRS-600 last year. I actually have a handy script that will go out to the onemanga site, look for any new issues of the series I enjoy and then download, convert and add them to my library. It even emails me when new issues have been added, which is very handy when a series goes on hiatus and then returns a few months later.

I will miss the metal casing of the PRS-600, but it's hard to argue with the extra portability and, assuming reviews are favorable, there is a good chance I will add an iPad to my portable arsenal to fill in the remaining gaps.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
I have the 300 and last week bought the 900. I like the screen better on the 300 and may return the 900 as it was double the price. The touch screen, dictionary and pics is cooler than I thought. I just don't know... I put both readers side by side with the same pages of the same book going back and fourth. The 300 is smaller and just a tad bit slower turning pages (big deal). The glare on the 900 is not terrible, but can be in certain light. I just don't know what to do and which to keep. I'd love to keep both, but just too much.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
BTW: Sony has dropped the price of the 300 to $169 for a few weeks. So, this would be a good time to pick one up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
You know that Sony will replace the 600 for a fee of $99
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
You know that Sony will replace the 600 for a fee of $99
Not if it's a fractured screen substrate they won't. This is not covered by warranty, and you'll have to pay the full cost of a replacement screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
R0B_IX
Enthusiast

Yeah, the first thing I checked was repair costs. I knew it said right on Sony's site that screen damage isn't covered under the $99 replacement plan, but I figured it never hurts to ask. Luckily, I had a $50 Best Buy gift card that I got last Christmas, so I didn't feel too much pain in my wallet .