Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
heartofmyhome
heartofmyhome began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Tablet
NOOK Tablet rookie

I'm learning (slowly) about all the great features on my NT. What I would really like to know is: how can I read my from my PC's Kindle Cloud Reader on my NT?

I'm really very much a rookie, but getting brave enough to consider the Calibre or the N2A card.

If it's possible to do this, can you please lay out the steps I need to take. I promise not to be a pest, I just need the steps in rookie language. Or refer me to the correct thread in this forum that would be the answer for me.

Thanks so much!
heartofmyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
If you read the thread on the n2a cards, you will get more information. Short answer, no you won't be able to read Kindle for PC books on the Nook unless you root it or buy or create a boot card (ie n2a). In the past for my son's NT we used a purchased n2a card and it worked beautifully. However, many people feel that the n2a people are making money using someone else's hard work (a valid point) and point toward the XDA site which has directions to make your own. For me, that's where I am stuck right now, b/c I have no experience with the most basic coding stuff to understand their instructions. I am hoping to learn. you might look at the XDA site and have no problem following it.

The other option if you are not looking for a complete Android experience but only want to read Kindle books, is to use Calibre and some plugins (Apprentice Alf is your friend) to remove DRM and convert those books to epub and sideload them. No specifics given b/c of the grey legal area you enter, but AA can help.

good luck.

p.s. I definitely recommend getting Calibre no matter what. It's great for organizing your books and it's free! It's not hard to use, at least at the basic level, although there is a lot more it can do that I haven't learned yet!
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
heartofmyhome
heartofmyhome began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Tablet
Thank you so much for the advice and suggestion. I'll pass on the N2A card and go with the Calibre download, which was very appealing to me after watching the online tutorial. Plus I don't want to steal somebody's thunder. As a rookie, I just can't keep up with all this fun stuff.

Thanks again!
Cathy in San Diego
heartofmyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Take a look at this post/thread, you can make a CyanogenMod v10 card (essentially a more up to date version of what N2A unethically sells and for a lot more) for the price of a SDcard (~$6 for Sandisk Class 4 8GB) and unlock all the potential of the NT that BN wants to keep out of your hand.

Last edited by livramax; 01-04-2013 at 10:12 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll second what livramax says. Read through the CM 10 posts in this forum to get some background in μSD card rooting. Assuming you have access to a windows PC, the software necessary to create a bootable μSD card is free, with the exception of Winrar ($29) but it has a 40 day free trial period. The cyanogenmod 10 image is available at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...r-nook-tablet/
Format your 8 GB μSD card with SDFormatter, download the disk image and write it to the μSD card with Winimage, put it in your nook's μSD slot and boot the Nook. One of the apps included with the image is Google Playstore. Go to the Playstore and search for and download the Kindle app. While you're at it, download the Nook app as well so you can install and read .epub format books as well.
The CM 10 image download will only use 2 GB of your 8 GB μSD card but it's usable to familiarize yourself with CM 10 and the Kindle and Nook android apps. Later you can expand the partitions on the μSD card to use its full capacity.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
with the exception of Winrar ($29) but it has a 40 day free trial period.
You can use 7-Zip, it's opensource freeware.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
You can use 7-Zip, it's opensource freeware.
+1 on this. Win Zip is free and I use it on all of my computers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud reader, nook tablet, rookie