Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
gearfarmer
gearfarmer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Wall charger alternative

Hi All

First post for me. New K3 owner, very happy. Didn't order the wall wart as I thought charging through the computer would be fine. However, I am going on a trip next week and thought I might take a backup. My Samsung camera uses a USB wall wart type charger which would also fit the kindle usb cable.
Specs are

samsung wall wart output: 4.4vdc 400mA

Kindle 3 specs: 5vdc 850mA

Will this work ok, or is the current mismatch significant?

Many thanks
gearfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfarmer View Post
Many thanks
I would avoid this. Any 5v, 1A would be much better, for
quite low fee.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I use my Samsung Galaxy S charger for the Kindle as well and have had no problems...
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
My blackberry car charger seems to work fine.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Hi All

First post for me. New K3 owner, very happy. Didn't order the wall wart as I thought charging through the computer would be fine. However, I am going on a trip next week and thought I might take a backup. My Samsung camera uses a USB wall wart type charger which would also fit the kindle usb cable.
Specs are

Many thanks
Welcome to MobileRead, gearfarmer!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
My Kindle came with a plug for the wall to be used with the USB cable...
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
My Kindle came with a plug for the wall to be used with the USB cable...
Depends on your country. Amazon don't include the USB charger for all countries.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Its is a bit low but it is still within the USB 2.0 specifications for voltage. Just try it as you can't damage the Kindle assuming your USB charger isn't faulty. If it works then it'll charge. If not then you'll have to find another charger.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
The Kindle's microUSB, so any like-minded* charger is fair game. All that'd happen is it wouldn't charge as fast as the stock charger (given the battery life, this isn't a major issue)

*Recent BlackBerry, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc. phones are all microUSB, and you can find them fairly cheap.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
joelong
joelong began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Its is a bit low but it is still within the USB 2.0 specifications for voltage. Just try it as you can't damage the Kindle assuming your USB charger isn't faulty. If it works then it'll charge. If not then you'll have to find another charger.
The voltage difference is probably OK, but it's not good that the power supply you intend to use provides only half the current of the factory supply. This can lead to damage. Best to find a supply that provides 850 mA, or more.
joelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I'd sincerely go with finding a different wall-wart, as mentioned above, 5V 1A units are very common and you'll be wanting to get one that's listed as a legitimate USB type unit.

Plugging something other than 5V in there could potentially cause issues with the USB circuity in the Kindle, the 0.6V difference is enough that depending on the design of the K3's USB/power circuits things could even end up discharging (but that's me being hyper-paranoid - such is life as an EE).

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
tarke9891
Enthusiast
tarke9891 doesn't littertarke9891 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I plugged my first K3 into a 12v to usb and it fried both the K3 and the 12v converter. I would not risk it. I don't think the Ks have anything to stop the charge, both under or over. I think i heard right that a too low charge can if the same problem was a high one.
tarke9891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
The general rule is to keep the voltage the same as specifications and the amperage should be at or higher (higher is fine since it's the device that governs how much amperage it's going to pull).

I bought a griffin 5V 2A usb chargers for the wall and the car, which allows me charge even the newest devices. And there is enough amps for me to add an usb y-cable so I can charge two devices at once.

Last edited by badbob001; 10-05-2010 at 12:22 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelong View Post
The voltage difference is probably OK, but it's not good that the power supply you intend to use provides only half the current of the factory supply. This can lead to damage. Best to find a supply that provides 850 mA, or more.
No. A standard USB port on a PC is rated for 500mA and the Kindle will charge from a PC as per Amazon's specifications. Amazon don't even bundle the charger for everybody. If you plugged the Kindle into a USB hub then you'd get less than 500mA. Assuming your USB port/charger isn't faulty and isn't badly made then nothing will be damaged as devices have to be able to accept these variations in voltage and current to be certified as a USB compatible device.

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-05-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarke9891 View Post
I plugged my first K3 into a 12v to usb and it fried both the K3 and the 12v converter. I would not risk it. I don't think the Ks have anything to stop the charge, both under or over. I think i heard right that a too low charge can if the same problem was a high one.
Your USB charger was faulty or badly designed.