Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #2851
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
This is how we have lunch in Thailand. I'm the guy with the Tiley hat and sunglasses. Il
Good to see the famous Tiley hat; I've had one for donkies years, bought at their flagship store here in Toronto.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #2852
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Truly this man's actions are heartwarming.
Touching.
PoP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #2853
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
This is how we have lunch in Thailand. I'm the guy with the Tiley hat and sunglasses. It's a floating houseboat/raft complex less than an hour from my house, with 14 rental rooms for folks who want to stay overnight.

[YOUTUBE]

Stitchawl
Beautiful country, Stitch. The choice of "The Beautiful Blue Danube" as your shuttle was preparing to dock was a really nice touch. Yeah, I saw what you did!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #2854
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Very nice Stitchawl. Would I be right in guessing that the house special is the catch of the day?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #2855
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Very nice Stitchawl. Would I be right in guessing that the house special is the catch of the day?
I was surprised to see very few fish dishes on the menu. Thais are big fish eaters but there was only one page of choices for fish here. There are several restaurants back at the dock that have menus with 8-10 pages of fish, but not this one.

On another note, I'm just about to head out the door to shoot that temple I mentioned the other day. I'm excited about getting it all with the sun still low.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #2856
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
This is how we have lunch in Thailand.
Stitchawl
I was a little disappointed that I didn't see dreams poising under all those beautiful umbrellas!
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #2857
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
I was a little disappointed that I didn't see dreams poising under all those beautiful umbrellas!
Blame the homicidal chicken.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #2858
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Blame the homicidal chicken.
I was NEVER convicted!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #2859
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you escaped the oven (or do I mean the electric chair).
Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #2860
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Saturday, the Chiang Mai Fencing Club held a big tournament, and I had the pleasure of fencing against two members of the Thai National Fencing Team. This is a video of us warming up before the meet. The Thai fencer is 25 years old, and rated #4 in the country. He's primarily a 'foilist,' and when we fence that weapon he REALLY cleans my clock, but this video is us fencing Épée, where I stand a better chance. Lots of extra protective stomach and chest padding was called for though. Épées are VERY stiff, and can cause some pain.

Watch this video in 'full screen' mode or you'll miss most of the action. Keep an eye out for the little colored light over the small black scoring box on the left-hand wall marking a hit.

Stitchawl
Old 12-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #2861
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Does being a leftie give you any advantage against those used to fencing against mostly right-handers?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #2862
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Does being a leftie give you any advantage against those used to fencing against mostly right-handers?
Absolutely. Many fencers (unfortunately including myself) have little opportunity to fence against lefties. I pray that we get another one joining our club here, as there are two very good lefties that fence for Bangkok clubs that I sometimes meet up with at the tournaments. They get to work out together fairly often, but I'm fighting blind when I face them.

One them them is somewhat predictable (at the moment,) so easy to defend against, and I just use counter-attacks to score my points relying primarily upon my reflexes and speed (as I have to do fencing against this Thai boy,) as I have no good direct attacks to use on left-handed fencers these days. The other lefty is a brilliant strategist, remarkable tactician, and usually mops the floor with me when we fence epee... In Foil I can handle him.
Unfortunately, he also has a VERY heavy hand, and is painful to fence epee with. In fact, yesterday I fabricated a larger chest protector out of heavy vinyl to wear under my jacket with him in mind! The commercial chest protectors sold leave too much of the area on my upper chest/shoulder area unprotected and are too stiff to be comfortable.

Stitchawl
Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #2863
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

How long have you been fencing Stitchawl?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #2864
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
How long have you been fencing Stitchawl?
I began when I was 16, fencing for my High School Varsity team. I continued throughout my twenties and thirties, teaching it as a university phys-ed class as well as offering Adult Ed classes. I was the Fencing Master for two different Fencing clubs in New England for a total of 20 years, right up until I moved to Asia. I didn't fence for 15 years in Japan, only getting back to it when I returned to Thailand a year and a half ago. 15 years of NOT fencing took it's toll and it's been a long journey back. I'm not fully up to speed yet, but I'm getting there.
It's not easy when you're my age! But... you can start at ANY age. We've a new fellow just joined us who is 63. Never fenced before. Fencing is as much mental as it is physical, and the fencer who can out-think his opponent wins, just like a chess game.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-05-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #2865
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Tags
cats, kindle, tax, vincent price