Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
alanbirtles
alanbirtles began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
purchasing outside the usa

I would like to purchase "Orphan's triumph" by Robert Buettner from the UK. it doesn't seem to be available anywhere, would a USA based person be willing to purchase the book for me if I send you a pay pal transfer for the correct amount.
alanbirtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's available from Fictiowise for $7.59/$6.45

Just change the country in your address stored at fictionwise to USA, and pay using micropay (If necessary, buy some micropay first.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbirtles View Post
I would like to purchase "Orphan's triumph" by Robert Buettner from the UK. it doesn't seem to be available anywhere, would a USA based person be willing to purchase the book for me if I send you a pay pal transfer for the correct amount.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-04-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
You could also try Books On Board. They have it for $6.34.

$5.36 when you take their reward scheme into account.

You can buy from them with a UK credit card.
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
It would seem that the gc restrictions went on after the book was offered for sale - I purchased during the pre-release period, and successfully downloaded on the first.

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I second pdurrant answer, I just did this at Fictionwise for Dragonflight, June's Fantasy Book at GoodReads... (I'm french, by the way)
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Oops - did not realise it was region restricted when I did a quick search
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is region restricted, but that's not a problem if you pay with Micropay - you just have to set your country as "USA" in your FW profile information.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
alanbirtles
alanbirtles began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
i added money to my micro pay account then tried to order the book again. I still got the region restricted error. However logging out and back in again seems to make fictionwise forget that you pain using a uk credit card and the purchase went through successfully.
alanbirtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
For what it's worth, it's possible to buy a geographically restricted ebook from fictionwise with a european credit card by providing your actual name and a fake address in the US (the dummies who provide a fake address _and_ a fake name get their account suspended, I won't tell you how I now that

It lets you enjoy their micropay rebate sales.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
For what it's worth, it's possible to buy a geographically restricted ebook from fictionwise with a european credit card by providing your actual name and a fake address in the US (the dummies who provide a fake address _and_ a fake name get their account suspended, I won't tell you how I now that

It lets you enjoy their micropay rebate sales.

"Ack!" Or "meow!" or "arf-arf!"

That has to hurt. Do you know when (or if) "this person" will get his account back?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Do you know when (or if) "this person" will get his account back?
Don
Well it wasn't a big issue. This was a secondary account created especially for this purpose, to test whether this would work or not.
One first try with real name and fake address succeeded, and the account got a bit of micropay credit out of the transaction. Then the genius owner of the account thought "Hey if I'm giving a fake address I might as well give a fake name so that I can't be tracked down in case something goes wrong!". This raised a warning from the bank however, and fictionwise printed a message saying that there seemed to be a problem with the transaction, please leave a phone number where the bank can get in touch with you, and until this is sorted out we're disabling book downloads from your shelf.
So of course it was not possible to leave a phone number in the US, and even if it had been possible I doubt it would have been possible to sort it out.

So basically "this person" did nothing about it. Nothing was charged from the credit card and the account must still exist but be unusable. All that was lost were a few dollars in micropay credit, and a great deal was learned about the security in credit card payment!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote