Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Simple way to improve "contrast" on the 600, 900, & maybe the 700

None of the book I have bought are DRMed. If yours are then you will have to strip them.

This is very simple and may work with a PRS-700 too.

Use Calibre to change the epub book to RTF format. Select all text and change it to BOLD. Reconvert back to epub.

The "contrast" is effectively improved, and the font size (my other solution) is not increased.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-13-2010 at 11:07 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Book Designer's default settings for LRF do this; i.e. use bold as the default setting. I've been using this in all my LRF uploads for a couple of years.
And it's possible to set EPubs to bold also.
So you're not confined to RTFs in order to do this trick.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Can you post a couple of pictures showing the difference?
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I just change to epub and use customized "bold" fonts.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alternately, you can just paste this code into CSS field when converting to the LRF or ePub format the first time:

body { font-weight: bold }
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Wait wait wait.
You cannot select the whole text as bold because very often bold is used to emphasize something in the text, an emotion, or a sign, etc. You loose so much by changing all text to bold.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Wait wait wait.
You cannot select the whole text as bold because very often bold is used to emphasize something in the text, an emotion, or a sign, etc. You loose so much by changing all text to bold.
In printed fiction the usual way to emphasise is using italics. At least that's the standard way to do it as far as I'm informed. And it's good practise to use any kind of empahisis in a fiction text sparingly, too. I can't think of any of the books I've read recently where bolding would be problem.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Wait wait wait.
Take you pick - Simulated contrast or preservation of "original" text. Your choice.

But I think that for almost everyone who dislikes the poor contrast of the 600 & 900 might perffer this solution.

A question for those who knew this already - Why haven't you told this to everyone looking to improve contrast/clarity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Here you go. Not the best pictures, but I've included a sample file. Go to pages 2 or 3 to see the improvement.

[ATTACH]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48016&d=1268580824[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48017&d=1268580824[/ATTACH]

Attachment 48018

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 04-15-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Just open one of my book uploads and see for yourself.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Just open one of my book uploads and see for yourself.
Link please.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Alternately, you can just paste this code into CSS field when converting to the LRF or ePub format the first time:

Perfect, thank you.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict

Anyone try this with the 700?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Although I have a PRS-505 I have something that might help. When it comes to the darkness of the text, one thing I've found that helps to change the typeface of the text itself.

I used to use Thorndale (a typeface in StarOffice that's like Times New Roman) as my base typeface for my ebooks. I wanted my text to be darker so I checked other typefaces. I found that Georgia was significantly darker than some of the other typefaces.

To provide a comparison:

Georgia

Times New Roman

In the same way, I used to use Albany as my typeface for san-serif text. As with Thorndale I wanted a darker typeface so I chose Calibri which is both a darker and slightly smaller font that I liked better.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Although I have a PRS-505 I have something that might help. When it comes to the darkness of the text, one thing I've found that helps to change the typeface of the text itself.

I used to use Thorndale (a typeface in StarOffice that's like Times New Roman) as my base typeface for my ebooks. I wanted my text to be darker so I checked other typefaces. I found that Georgia was significantly darker than some of the other typefaces.

To provide a comparison:

Georgia

Times New Roman

In the same way, I used to use Albany as my typeface for san-serif text. As with Thorndale I wanted a darker typeface so I chose Calibri which is both a darker and slightly smaller font that I liked better.
Now we're gitting somewhere. Any more "Hidden" tips out there?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post

just did this to all of my books. Now they are clear even in "Small".

They should make this a "Sticky".

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-14-2010 at 01:40 PM.