Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
bebookreader
bebookreader began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
help reading chinese pdf

Hi. I'm looking for help to read a chinese pdf file on my prs-700. It reads fine using apple preview, but I can't get it to display the text at all So far, I've tried:

- transfer original directly using calibre
> blank pages
- convert to lrf using calibre
> garbage characters
- open original using apple preview and save as pdf
> blank pages
- open original using apple preview and save as pdf-x
> blank pages
- apply cjk font firmware flash as described in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39428, then upload original, saved-as pdf and saved-as pdf-x
> blank pages

Would appreciate it if you have any suggestions?

Last edited by bebookreader; 12-12-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: edit file link
bebookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I can not download your sample chinese pdf for testing
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
ERROR

The file could not be found. Please check the download link.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
bebookreader

Oops. thanks for trying; i've fixed the link.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
bebookreader

If anyone has had a go, I'd really appreciate your input. even if it's to say that you've tried it and had no problems, or that you weren't able to read it either.
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I download your sample Chinese PDF:

I could not read it in the Reader Library.

I could read it in ADE after ADE prompted me to add Chinese Simplified Fonts, which I did. Copying it to the reader resulted in only an ok cover page then a lot of blank pages.

The PDF says there are embedded fonts in it and I assumed embedded fonts would work on the Sony Readers. I don't know much about embedding fonts and where they will work. If you search the PDF forum there has been a some discussion on reading Chinese PDF's. Some solutions involved using the full version of Adobe Acrobat, which I don't have.

There was also mention of hacking the Sony Readers to add fonts. (This option should not be taken lightly and you would need to read all of the detailed instructions and take full responsibility and whatever precautions are necessary). One of the threads are listed below but there are several interrelated threads:

Has anybody looked at Russian hack of PRS-600?

*edit*

I opened up the pdf with adobe reader 9, cut all the text to clipboard and copied it to an MS Word document, then saved the Word document as a PDF. I then imported it to the Reader Library and transferred it to the Sony Reader. Chinese text now looks readable except the book title and I must have done something to lose the book cover.

That's about all the help I can give you with the limited knowledge I have. Hopefully I've pointed you in the right direction.

You might want to pose the question in the PDF forum.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
bebookreader

Wow, thanks for your long reply!

I guess your experiences practically mirrored mine. I couldn't tell whether the original file had embedded fonts, so I'd tried to re-save it as pdf/pdf-x which should have had embedded fonts (and the filesize reassuringly went up from ~600kB to 1.7MB).

After that didn't help, I tried the firmware flashing method for the prs-700 using the instructions in Anyway to make 700 read Chinese text?, but I still couldn't read the text in the pdf.

Finally, I also copied and pasted all the text into a text file, which was readable on the prs-700. But that was rather unsatisfactory because of loss of formatting (eg. paragraphs and indentation are lost, and headers and footers just get merged into the text).

Thanks for your help! maybe I'll consult the folks on the pdf forum, or see if there is an i8n forum.