Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Reports of 3.1 being pushed out for automatic upgrade

There have been some reports of people having their Kindles automatically upgraded to 3.1 even though as of this minute, it is still marked as an Early Preview release on the Amazon site. Amazon even say "We will update this page when we complete the Early Preview and begin to automatically deliver the update." so its not supposed to be automatic yet.

I assume that this means 3.1 has gone into full release status after a very short period of time in Early Preview and the web people at Amazon haven't managed to update their site yet.

If 3.1 has been flagged for automatic upgrade then the only way to currently avoid it is to turn off wireless and leave it off.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
JerryinOCMD
Enthusiast
JerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Of course they decide to do this on the day after I finally work up the nerve to install the screen saver hack. Now I'm forced to decide between living with a crippled device (i.e. no wireless for the time being) or looking at dead writers. Why is asking too much for Amazon to allow us to choose our own screen savers? GEESH!
JerryinOCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
they did this with the 2.5 upgrade for the k2. It was said to be in beta phase, it wasn't available to manually update, but they pushed it out to kindles randomly over a period of about 2 months until it became available online. The scrensaver hack prevented the update from occurring so people with the hack were able to capture it and share the love! The 2.5 update was a biggie as it gave us collections.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Automatic update can be easily disabled but it requires installed usbnetwork.
I suppose creating hack that would disable it by installing a special *_install.bin file wouldn't take much time.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Automatic update can be easily disabled but it requires installed usbnetwork.
I suppose creating hack that would disable it by installing a special *_install.bin file wouldn't take much time.
A hack update that just renames the two Amazon keys should prevent it from installing but you'll still get the download and attempted install though...
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
they did this with the 2.5 upgrade for the k2. It was said to be in beta phase, it wasn't available to manually update, but they pushed it out to kindles randomly over a period of about 2 months until it became available online. The scrensaver hack prevented the update from occurring so people with the hack were able to capture it and share the love! The 2.5 update was a biggie as it gave us collections.
Eww. Beta without any official choice in whether you get the beta or not!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
A hack update that just renames the two Amazon keys should prevent it from installing but you'll still get the download and attempted install though...
Good idea, I actually had in mind editing /usr/bin/process_update and commenting out line 43
Code:
${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
Intentional updates would be still possible but not the automatic ones.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I was just considering an update but was not sure whether the new periodical layout may be a step back for me ...

Well last night amazon made this decision for me and did an automatic update to 3.1. It seems to be faster but I am not sure about the periodicals view yet.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Now I'm forced to decide between living with a crippled device (i.e. no wireless for the time being) or looking at dead writers.
Now there's a tough choice for ya! Which one did you go with?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
JerryinOCMD
Enthusiast
JerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enough

No hurry, but I'm probably going to go back to dead writers. For now I'm looking for explicit directions on UNINSTALLING the jailbreak and SS hack. I have copies of both uninstall files, but I'm not 100% sure about which order to run them in. and what additional files/folder I might also need to delete (i.e. the RANDOM file that I added to shuffle screensavers, etc.).

Can someone point me in the right direction?
JerryinOCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

With respect to the screen-saver hack, shouldn't that remain after the 3.1 update? I thought that was one of the benefits of that hack (and others).
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
omk
omk is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I was pushed (but not forced to update) a mysterious "Update_536720111_558700031.bin" sometime last night. It is only 7177325 with a sha1 2b4ed17860db3f88c444cc2420f2a36c In contrast, the full 3.1 downloaded from AZ site is 23460961 bytes, so this appears to be either some partial download or something different. Moved it off, any idea what this is ?

As a side rant, I really do despise Amazon's inattention to detail on the screen-saver issue - forget customization but the fixed (and short) timeout is really an incomprehensible omission on a reading device. Thanks for SSTimeOut!
omk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
@omk

If you Google "Update 536720111_558700031.bin" you'll have someone writing about it in Japanese. So you're not alone.
Sorry "no Japanese" on this side but, anyway, who knows?
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
stop complaining... my kindle DXG is still at 2.5.5

no love from amazon
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
With respect to the screen-saver hack, shouldn't that remain after the 3.1 update? I thought that was one of the benefits of that hack (and others).
They do remain.

The PROBLEM is if your firmware is upgraded to 3.1, you canNOT remove the hacks. Some folks are not comfortable in case some warranty issue arises. They want to be able to remove the hacks. In other words 3.1 locks in the hacks and they canNOT be removed/uninstalled/undone.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote